• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hazelnut Praline Paste

sherribabee

I personally prefer the Felchlin paste - I know you can also buy coarse grades that aren't smooth though, so perhaps you got one of those?

Thanks for those suggestions. When I made the Shotts praline the first time, I didn't let the processor run long enough. The result was good (fantastic over vanilla ice cream), but a little crunchy for a filling. The second time I let the machine run (and run some more), and it was a much better product.

I made the Greweling hazelnut honey filling today with the paste I bought. The nut bits weren't too big to pass through the pastry bag, but almost. I'm guessing the paste was thinner than what Greweling had in mind since the ganache didn't firm up entirely (I'm still waiting on it). I was surprised that the paste was still liquid in the refrigerator since the Shotts homemade paste got quite thick when chilled. Which brings up a complaint about chocolate recipes: It would be nice to have guidelines in addition to basic directions. You know, the way Julia Child tells you exactly what the consistency of a cheese souffle is supposed to be and exactly how to tell when it's done. Today's recipe could have said helpfully: The praline paste should have a solid consistency; if it is too liquid, use less of it (or add more chocolate).

Well, when following their formula, they assume you're using exactly the same ingredients! If your slab hasn't set up, perhaps it just hasn't crystallised enough? Some of the ones I make with almond praline can take overnight to crystallise nicely.

although, I've not run into a solid praline paste... not really a paste then ;)

I made some back in December for some buches I was working on. Wow, was it a pain! Mine was a mix of hazelnuts and almonds. I first put them in the food processor, then in the VitaMix. Well, the VitaMix gets hot when it runs for a while, so it started to melt the sugars and solidify them again. So I took it back out and put it in the food processor again. Mine was really thick. I really should have added some kind of nut oil but I didn't have any and no stores in my area carry things like that. I ran mine through a sieve and it still wasn't as smooth as a commercial product. I mixed it into Italian meringue buttercream, which dissolved the sugars and made the final product substantially smoother. It was still slightly grainy from the nuts but it was really good!

Hi Diana,

I think I added 1/4 to 1/2 cup of praline paste to a half batch of IMBC (the other half I flavored with Grand Marnier and orange peel for a different buche). It actually didn't change the consistency. I also added a few tablespoons of Frangelico.