• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chefs help, tips needed

cookatlarge

i have a compititon at school tommorow, this is my menu thus far, amuse bouche Sambuca Cured striped bass, celeri,apple salad with vine ripend yellow tomato jus vinagrette

or should i cure,marinade the bass in the tomato jus?and leave the sambuca out of it?>

i have a compititon at school tommorow, this is my menu thus far, amuse bouche Sambuca Cured striped bass, celeri,apple salad with vine ripend yellow tomato jus vinagrette

or should i cure,marinade the bass in the tomato jus?and leave the sambuca out of it?>

Marinade the bass with just a touch of sambuca and olive oil, a little sambuca goes a long way. I don't know about the apple salad. Thinly sliced Belgium endive or tender fennel would be a better choice. You can incorporate apples with a very delicate hand. What's a tomato jus vinaigrette? You're making tomato juice to add to a vinaigrette? Better to do a concasse and add it to a vinaigrette. You'll get the flavor, texture and colour.

How will you be cooking the bass? Are you cooking it all?

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

Papaya works with the flavor of sambuca.

Why do you want to start off with a combination of sweet and savory? Is this a single amuse competition or does it build on other courses? Competition aside, an amuse should be tasty but neutral in a way. It's a gift from the chef who doesn't know what the customer will order. So it should fit into the overall philosophy of the chef and the menu.

I figured you were making tomato juice to add to the vinaigrette. If your instructor is French the use of the term tomato jus might grate on him like it does me. Yes I am French culinary instructor. But I am certainly not your instructor, my school is on break for the week.

Dean of Culinary Arts

Remember curing is a dry method. Say soaked. And jus is probably not the right word for the tomato juice, just say tomato. In addition, celeri and apple salad is a classic combination and served with more of a mayonaise based sauce. Don't stray to far from the classics while in school.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

Don't stray to far from the classics while in school.

You can stray away from the classics while in school, but as in real life if you do, ya better be damn good.

Dean of Culinary Arts

Might I suggest...tomato water vs. tomato jus...

Sounds like a fun menu! Tricky ingredients; play it subtle and have fun when you plate...it will translate into good marks from you instructors.

Post Script: are the sweets and acids balanced in this dish? What about contrasting textures?

To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art La Rochefoucauld