• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver Entertainment Book Restaurants

PaoPao

Every year we buy this book and have the good intentions of using it up by years end. I don't think we have ever even come close to doing this. While trying different places based on a coupon can be an adventure in itself, overall we have had some very nice meals in places I don't think we would have tried otherwise.

As I am just getting a chance to delve into this years book, it reveals some old favourites like: Pink Pearl, Fiddlehead Joes, Wild Rice, da Pasta Bar, HSG, and Spotted Prawn. There are also a large number of places that we haven't tried yet that look very good as well. I'm curious about others experiences who have found dining gems in the city with this great little coupon book ..... :smile:

I totally agree. I buy the Entertainment Book every year, but only get around to about 2 or 3 restaurants. I have always enjoyed Cafe Il Nido. A quiet little oasis right in the midst of busy Robson.

Other coupons that I've used previously are Tropika, Wild Rice, Fiddle Head Joe's, Aqua Riva.... Hmmm, I should take a look at my book too, I haven't used any coupons yet this year.

Ohhhh... good idea for a topic. We buy the book every year and use it primarily for dining, but you do tend to fall into a bit of a rut and use the same coupons year after year without bothering to try something new.

There are a few coupons that we use up fairly quickly every year, mostly in the name of big family dinners: Kobe, Las Margaritas, Lombardo's, New Grand View, Pepitas, Cafe Presto Panini and Hell's Kitchen all disappear pretty quickly. The Indian restaurant coupons go pretty quickly too, as do the various Thai places.

We were thinking about Il Nido last week but ended up staying home. On Shellback's recommendation, though, I will definitely try it out in the next few weeks.

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

i'll definately try out cafe il nido as well.. i had always wondered about it and held off because i wasn't sure... but now egulleters are recommending it.. well! i HAVE to go now! ;)

i find the fastest coupons to be used for me are wild rice, the cannery, griffin's and the various thai restaurants... altho i stay away from the thai house chain... IMO i find them a little too "westernized" for my taste.

funny thing is, i buy these books from nieces and nephews every year but tend to forget to use them! i'll try to be a little more diligent from now on. maybe we should set up an 'entertainment book restaurant club' - everyone meet at these restaurants in hopes of actually using our coupons lol

Anybody go to the Van Mag Awards - yawn show as per usual and who was that blonde bimbo in the pastel blue portraying Vanna White, what a disaster!! Kudos to those who won as there is much great talent in this city, yet once again the same old, same old, yawn, yawn.

Ah, the E-card.

I have been accepting this for a couple of years now. All in all, a good thing. There are a few occasions that make me shake my head but for the most part, it introduces people to the restaurant who might not have been before.

Like anything else, you get good tables and bad but the one thing that just baffles me every year is the number of guys who show up on Valentine's day with this and get in a snit when they find out that they can not use it on that day. This year was the topper - I had one chap storm out only to call back and tell me how I ruined his Valentine's Day and now they had nowhere to eat. I wanted to tell him that his Valentine's Day was ruined because he was a loser, but I did not. I did let him know that had he cooled his jets for a second, he would of realized that he did have a place to eat, that he did have reservations on Valentine's Day but he blew it by storming out and I have given tha table away. I told him that although his dinner might have cost him a MAX $22.00 more than he thought, he did have the other 360 some odd days in the year to use his card. I don't think that this helped him in that moment because I could her his date screaming at him in the background. I doubt the evening ended up as he had hoped.

The other one is the maximum number of cards per party - three - period - that is it - three.

The lady who berated me because I would not accept 10 cards for a party of twenty. She had everything - I have told all of my friends we are coming there - it is my birthday - what if I book ten tables of two next to each other ? - that was a classic ! - I told her that because she had already shown her hand and outlined how she was going to try and take advantage of me, I would not accept the reservation. She told me how much money she was going to spend and how I was going to suffer financial loss because of it. I told her I was willing to take that chance. It was touch and go there for a second, but I pulled through !

Now, like I said, a good thing. These are just a couple of examples of difficulties I had had this year. We have had 3500 e-card redemptions this year, so in that amount, you are bound to find a couple of losers.

As a note to the Dining Diva - please re-read the above part about maximum number of cards - As much as I am fond of the egulleters, a table of twenty sporting ten Entertainment cards would only end up in me writing another post about " A funny thing happened at the restaurant today.........". Anyways, now that I know who you are and your evil plans, I will be watching for you all the time, ever vigilant, standing guard against the egullet army !

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Ah, the E-card.

I have been accepting this for a couple of years now. All in all, a good thing. There are a few occasions that make me shake my head but for the most part, it introduces people to the restaurant who might not have been before.

Like anything else, you get good tables and bad but the one thing that just baffles me every year is the number of guys who show up on Valentine's day with this and get in a snit when they find out that they can not use it on that day. This year was the topper - I had one chap storm out only to call back and tell me how I ruined his Valentine's Day and now they had nowhere to eat. I wanted to tell him that his Valentine's Day was ruined because he was a loser, but I did not. I did let him know that had he cooled his jets for a second, he would of realized that he did have a place to eat, that he did have reservations on Valentine's Day but he blew it by storming out and I have given tha table away. I told him that although his dinner might have cost him a MAX $22.00 more than he thought, he did have the other 360 some odd days in the year to use his card. I don't think that this helped him in that moment because I could her his date screaming at him in the background. I doubt the evening ended up as he had hoped.

The other one is the maximum number of cards per party - three - period - that is it  -  three.

The lady who berated me because I would not accept 10 cards for a party of twenty. She had everything - I have told all of my friends we are coming there - it is my birthday - what if I book ten tables of two next to each other ? - that was a classic ! - I told her that because she had already shown her hand and outlined how she was going to try and take advantage of me, I would not accept the reservation. She told me how much money she was going to spend and how I was going to suffer financial loss because of it. I told her I was willing to take that chance. It was touch and go there for a second, but I pulled through !

Now, like I said, a good thing. These are just a couple of examples of difficulties I had had this year. We have had 3500 e-card redemptions this year, so in that amount, you are bound to find a couple of losers.

As a note to the Dining Diva - please re-read the above part about maximum number of cards - As much as I am fond of the egulleters, a table of twenty sporting ten Entertainment cards would only end up in me writing another post about " A funny thing happened at the restaurant today.........". Anyways, now that I know who you are and your evil plans, I will be watching for you all the time, ever vigilant, standing guard against the egullet army !

Alright troops, the challenge has been thrown down. Can the evil army, infiltrate and be victorious using our golden E-cards all at once? Or will they be thrown back by General Nwyles..... A battle for the ages. Using a strong defence of selective GBP and Hanger Steak allotment gives the General a definite advantage. But do not discount the evil army's cleverness in using funny noses, make-up, and wigs in taking the covert approach....... ugh, bad attempt at humour, I know.

Actually the 3 cards per party and the holiday exemptions are listed right in the Rules section pretty clearly. Maybe you should have a photocopy of the rules standing by for any future morons who don't understand the boundaries of the e-card. Except for your beloved evil army of course ... :laugh::laugh:

Actually the 3 cards per party and the holiday exemptions are listed right in the Rules section pretty clearly. Maybe you should have a photocopy of the rules standing by for any future morons who don't understand the boundaries of the e-card.

Come on ! I have large blown up copies ! I live for that.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

We buy one every year too, usually in support of a soccer team or similar. At $45 it's very easy to recoup your investment - even if you only make it to 4 places, you've "made your money back". (Yes I realize you actually spend money to do so.)

Originally we bought it because we were starting to eat "nicer" and were looking to try new places while limiting our risk (similar to DOV). Now some places have become annual coupon visits. Sometimes I can cruise that book and not be inspired, other times I don't even think to look in it. For example, I completely forgot that HSG was in there - yet another reason to return!

This brings up an interesting point of etiquette: if you know (virtually or otherwise) the restauranteur / owner / chef, how do you feel about flashing the freebee card? Logic would suggest that if the owner joined up, s/he would accept the card with a (begrudged?) smile. But isn't there still a little voice in the back of your head saying something's not quite right?

The other one is the maximum number of cards per party - three - period - that is it  -  three.

The lady who berated me because I would not accept 10 cards for a party of twenty.

Ha! Neil I bet this is a more common bone of contention that you let on. While some people use the card in good faith, to others a coupon is a license to wreak havoc. Same folks will be tipping 10% on the after-discount amount, non? (Despite the printed instructions.)

This brings up an interesting point of etiquette: if you know (virtually or otherwise) the restauranteur / owner / chef, how do you feel about flashing the freebee card? Logic would suggest that if the owner joined up, s/he would accept the card with a (begrudged?) smile. But isn't there still a little voice in the back of your head saying something's not quite right

No guilt here. Nobody forced the aformentioned friend to participate in the Entertainment programme. Having said that, I'm damn sure I tip properly, and, as is the case with DOV, I participate with the spirit intended for the programme. No hot water & lemon's here!

BTW - my little voice only tells me to have another glass of wine.

A.

I accept the card so much that I do not really care of the circumstances. 3500 redemptions in one year is lots. My mother could use it and I would not really care. What does irk me sometimes is the attempted double dip - show up with an e-card and a gift certificate and something else like a corp. discount. I do not stand for that. It is one or the other - I will not be ripped off. You will not mistake my generosity for foolishness. Do not try and manipulate the system - use it in good faith and the spirit it was intended.

As for the tipping aspect - I do not really get into that with the staff but I understand that they run the chances of good and bad equally with or without he card. You are either a good tipper or not. Those who tip on the discounted amount certainly know they are doing it just as much as the under 10% tipper knows they are doing it. The card does not really make a difference in that dept.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

This brings up an interesting point of etiquette: if you know (virtually or otherwise) the restauranteur / owner / chef, how do you feel about flashing the freebee card? Logic would suggest that if the owner joined up, s/he would accept the card with a (begrudged?) smile. But isn't there still a little voice in the back of your head saying something's not quite right?

I was thinking the exact same thing, about HSG. I, too, bought an Entertainment Book in support of my son's school, and didn't know there was a coupon for HSG in it. But I can't imagine visiting there for dinner and whipping out my discount card. I already know the place is good, I'd be eating there even if I didn't have the coupons, somehow whipping out the discount card feels like I'd be shortchanging Neil.

Edited by Vancouver Lee (log)

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

Read upthread - we were both responding at the same time.

Also - I had a chap come back into the kitchen to meet me the other day to tell me how much he loved the restaurant. He said that his introduction to it was through the E-card and that they had been back 10 times since. That is how you hope it would work.

I have run the numbers on all of the e-card figures - I actually do it about every quarter just to check. The e-card diners spend slightly more than the average cheque and are mostly groups of 4 or more with one card. The numbers work out every time. It is just the occasional Mr. and Mrs. Water in the mix that sour people on it. It is unfortunate that is usually the lasting impression that some servers and other industry folk have but like I said, if you run the numbers ( and I have lots to run ) , it works out in everyone's favour.

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

I already know the place is good, I'd be eating there even if I didn't have the coupons, somehow whipping out the discount card feels like I'd be shortchanging Neil.
I have run the numbers on all of the e-card figures - I actually do it about every quarter just to check.

<SNIP>

... if you run the numbers ( and I have lots to run ) , it works out in everyone's favour.

And I'm sure if you ran eGullet numbers ... I'm thinking Ling's Gingerbread bill alone ... they would more than make up for how the E-Card might "shortchange" you! :laugh:

A.

I already know the place is good, I'd be eating there even if I didn't have the coupons, somehow whipping out the discount card feels like I'd be shortchanging Neil.
I have run the numbers on all of the e-card figures - I actually do it about every quarter just to check.

<SNIP>

... if you run the numbers ( and I have lots to run ) , it works out in everyone's favour.

And I'm sure if you ran eGullet numbers ... I'm thinking Ling's Gingerbread bill alone ... they would more than make up for how the E-Card might "shortchange" you! :laugh:

A.

Ling would put the numbers right off of the chart - I would have to remove her from the equation in order to find any true meaning.

Neil

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

Alright, enough politics about the e-card let's get back to more interesting stuff, like the food and places to eat it. :wacko:

Perusing a bit more in the e-book, I've added a few more places in my sights:

Stone Grill - Looks interesting, not sure about the whole cook it yourself thing. Whenever I do this at say Shabu-san, I always get too distracted by the cooking items to really enjoy the conversation.

Borgo Antico Ristorante Al Porto - Menu looks very tasty and with a name that long you had better be good.

Yuu Restaurant - Their Jellyfish with Smoked Pork Hock looks like a must try item.

Doolins Irish Pub - Never been, we'll see how it compares to the Irish Heather.

The list goes on .... :biggrin:

Anyone else?

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Vancouver, B.C. I visited once with a wonderful person and we had the time of our lives. We stayed in a corner suite at the Pan Pacific with a view of the cruise ships and the water. I don't remember where we ate, but it was all great. We took a float plane to Victoria and stayed one night at the Queen Victoria. We went whale watching and saw 26 orca, several pilot whales and a huge gray. It's one of the best vacation memories I have.

Catherine

Alright, enough politics about the e-card let's get back to more interesting stuff, like the food and places to eat it.

Sorry PaoPao, didn't mean to send the thread off course. In response, I have been to Doolin's, but never for food. Great pub tho - love the uni's. :wink:

I will dutifully look thru the e-book tonight and jot down my faves (ie the ones already torn out) and the ones I'm curious about...

Off to tend to a pork roast!

Okay teach, as promised I did my homework last night and perused the e-book.

Places the coupon is virtually guaranteed to be used:

-Bizou Bistro

-Candia Taverna

-Frog & Firkin

-Hamilton Street Grill (well from now on)

-Hudson's Landing

-Las Margueritas

-Mark's Fiasco

-Maplewood

-Monk's Oyster Bar (hey free oysters!)

-Tropika

-plus DQ and Harvey's (what's a visit to Home Depot without Harvey's?)

Places previously guaranteed, but we've since moved out of Kits:

-Hi Nippon

-Il Ducato (yeah it's a cave, but the food is good)

-Planet Veg

Places I've been to once or twice, and really should return to:

-Aqua Riva

-Dix BBQ

-President Cafe

Places I'd like to try but haven't gotten around to yet:

-Fiction (yes it's true, don't tell Sean)

-Habibi's

-Lombardo's (especially after FannyBay's post)

-Velvet Cafe

-Prime Rib House and Black Forest, both in White Rock

Hope this isn't too political, but it is on topic.

Anyone ever get a server who greets you like

a long-lost friend, then when you whip out the

E-card it's like you've just told them you're

planning to stay with them for a week - with your

six kids? And ferret?

Some really have a hard time staying upbeat. It's

like they automatically peg you for someone who's

going to shortchange them, or take advantage of

them in some way. This has only happened to me a

couple of times, but boy do you feel like the trailer

trash cousin from Hicktown when you present

the coupon. Service just slides from that point on.

Anybody from "the other side", apart from Neil, care to comment?

Do servers despise the card?

Hope this isn't too political, but it is on topic.

Anyone ever get a server who greets you like

a long-lost friend, then when you whip out the

E-card it's like you've just told them you're

planning to stay with them for a week - with your

six kids? And ferret?

Some really have a hard time staying upbeat. It's

like they automatically peg you for someone who's

going to shortchange them, or take advantage of

them in some way. This has only happened to me a

couple of times, but boy do you feel like the trailer

trash cousin from Hicktown when you present

the coupon. Service just slides from that point on.

Anybody from "the other side", apart from Neil, care to comment?

Do servers despise the card?

Are you in cahoots with my wife - I perhaps post too much ?

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill