• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New to Sushi

Tracey868

HI, I have just acquired taste for sushi rolls. ALthough I have not been brave with everything. I enjoy the rolls spicy shrimp and anything with crab and lobster. I havent ventured to the raw fish yet. Can I have some suggestions to mild fish. Also some good sushi resturants. I live in Lincoln Park. There is a place called Mr. Sushi, any comments about this place. My problem is they list the names of rolls but not whats in them. Feel like a dork that I dont know what is in them I need a class.

Thanks Tracey

A couple of things. First, welcome to the club. Although I may not necessarily agree with the "roll" trend in sushi, it's not a terrible place to start. As for mild fish, stick to staples like tuna (maguro), yellow tail (hamachi), and red snapper (tai). More importantly, however, make sure you're going to a credible place that will serve you good fish. If not, no matter what you eat, it'll probably suck. As for Lincoln Park area sushi, I am quite familiar with Mr. Sushi. Nothing could be further from authentic, yet I must say it can't be beat for the value. When I go there it's usually for quantity over quality but it is more than edible. As for their rolls, they do list what's inside them if you ask for the "special roll" menu. They've got a pretty decent spider roll (softshell crab) and tempura roll that might be right up your alley. And you can have all that for the low price of about 22 dollars, all you can eat.

I recommend Sushi Hana in Montclair. Also, there's a good place in Fairfield on Rt.46 near Hunan Cottage and the auto auction. You may want to tell the sushi chef that you are a rookie and see what he recommends. If you get a friendly chef, you'll have a fun and educational time.

A couple of things.  First, welcome to the club.  Although I may not necessarily agree with the "roll" trend in sushi, it's not a terrible place to start.  As for mild fish, stick to staples like tuna (maguro), yellow tail (hamachi), and red snapper (tai).  More importantly, however, make sure you're going to a credible place that will serve you good fish.  If not, no matter what you eat, it'll probably suck.  As for Lincoln Park area sushi, I am quite familiar with Mr. Sushi.  Nothing could be further from authentic, yet I must say it can't be beat for the value.  When I go there it's usually for quantity over quality but it is more than edible.  As for their rolls, they do list what's inside them if you ask for the "special roll" menu.  They've got a pretty decent spider roll (softshell crab) and tempura roll that might be right up your alley.  And you can have all that for the low price of about 22 dollars, all you can eat.

This Mr. Sushi place sounds interesting. Do they serve only sushi or do they have other foods too? How does it compare to Minado's? Thanks for any information!

Have to agree that for a sushi newbie, a seat at the sushi bar and a good sushi chef help tremendously from an education standpoint! Just watching them make each roll or piece of sushi helps you understand the process. And of course, you might see something that looks good and give it a try!

I don't think I've been anywhere that doesn't list what is in a roll (esp the 'creative' ones), but I also only have a few things that I like. In terms of rolls, a shrimp tempura roll is always a good bet when you start out, b/c it's two cooked shrimp--no fear of the raw stuff! And I absolutely love maguro (tuna)--it's not fishy tasting, and if it is fresh (as it should be), it's like butter--just melts in your mouth.

One of my favorite spots isn't far from Lincoln Park--it's in Caldwell...here's the thread about Nori. And the thread about our eG lunch there. They have some really interesting rolls, and definitely offer the descriptions! Regardless of where you end up, don't be afraid to ask!!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

A couple of things.  First, welcome to the club.  Although I may not necessarily agree with the "roll" trend in sushi, it's not a terrible place to start.  As for mild fish, stick to staples like tuna (maguro), yellow tail (hamachi), and red snapper (tai).  More importantly, however, make sure you're going to a credible place that will serve you good fish.  If not, no matter what you eat, it'll probably suck.  As for Lincoln Park area sushi, I am quite familiar with Mr. Sushi.  Nothing could be further from authentic, yet I must say it can't be beat for the value.  When I go there it's usually for quantity over quality but it is more than edible.  As for their rolls, they do list what's inside them if you ask for the "special roll" menu.  They've got a pretty decent spider roll (softshell crab) and tempura roll that might be right up your alley.  And you can have all that for the low price of about 22 dollars, all you can eat.

This Mr. Sushi place sounds interesting. Do they serve only sushi or do they have other foods too? How does it compare to Minado's? Thanks for any information!

They have other foods, too. In general though, I only go there for their all you can eat sushi when I'm really hungry and really bored. That said, although there is better sushi to be had, it can't be beat for the price. I'd say the quality is around a 5 (1-merely edible, think upscale supermarket, and 10-the best of NYC/above average in Tokyo). As for Minado's, I've never been. My favorite sushi that's close to me is Ajian in Somerset county, but then again we've been going there for years and we know the owners quite well so we might be biased.

You guys are the best. I will take your recommendations and go sit at a bar and ask questions. If only I can get my hubby to go with me. He will eat the cooked japenese food ( tempura etc) but hasnt aquired the taste for anything I have tried yet. Anyone interested in doing an " educating Tracey" dinner????

SInce Mr. Sushi is so close I will go there and check things out. The one nice thing is I also work in Monclair so I am near a great culinary town.

Thanks again

Tracey

The worse thing so far is I crave this stuff all the time..

I have to agree with Curlz, head for Nori in Caldwell. A decent selection of rolls, nigiri sushi, and they also have other things on the menu and the prices are decent.

Cheers

Tom

I want food and I want it now