• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Balsamic Vinegar/Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale

Jason Perlow

Could someone please clarify the different label colors? White, silver, gold, red, etc... Are white and silver the same? I know that red and "lobster" are the same. Obviously gold is better than silver, and red is below silver. Where does white fit in?

-James Kessler

I don't think there is any Italian regulatory authority meaning to the colors of the labels, but rather it is a producer's way of indicating bottles of different ages (or if not true balsamic, of different whatever), but I could be wrong. The important thing is to read the words on the labels or product description very carefully. Consider Alberto's (Albiston) post a few posts upthread, as well as the link to The Rare Wine Company in docsconz post. In the $60 - 70 US range you are looking at 12 year old balsamic.

I gathered that the label color has to do with age. So, if 12 years is roughly in the $60 - $70 range, then what color label is that? And what color label (and what age ) would be one higher and one lower than that?

-James Kessler

I gathered that the label color has to do with age.  So, if 12 years is roughly in the $60 - $70 range, then what color label is that?  And what color label (and what age ) would be one higher and one lower than that?

I was not clear, or perhaps I am not understanding your question, so please bear with me. Colors of labels do not necessarily mean anything. As far as I know a producer can make labels any color they choose. One producers red may not be the same thing as another producers red. You have to read the label or the description in order to find out how old it is. But my understanding is that there is no true balsamic younger than 12 years, although many things are labeled balsamic with no age designation, or an 8 or 10 year designation. (See alberto's post upthread.) For older than 12 year balsamic you are looking at spending $90 - 150 US or more.

Hope that helps.

This site has an explanation of the pink seal applied by the Consorzio which certifies the product.

Otherwise, as noted above, the color of the producer's label means nothing more than they happen to like a particular color and design.

It doesn't mean the same as Johnnie Walker Red, Black, Gold and Blue that indicates age.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett