• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pandan Asian Cuisine & Delicacies

Curlz

Has anyone tried this place? I read about it here on Baristanet.com and realized I had never heard of it. An eG search finds info on the Broad Street/restaurant row thread, but that's it. Sure sounds like it's worth a try!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Has anyone tried this place?...

I posted a note here.

The pork dish was pretty interesting, if I remember correctly...

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

It does sound intriguing. I have a new standard in these matters though: is it worth sacrificing a visit to Wondee's for? I gotta think long & hard about that. :cool:

Still, thanks for the suggestion, Pandan sounds appealing.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

• 1 month later...
Here's the Ledger's review of Pandan. Seems as though a trip is in order...

"...A flambé of plaintain-stuffed spring rolls" ??? COUNT ME IN!! :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I would go even just to try this kooky drink...

the Pandan special drink ($2.50), a neon green liquid consisting of mashed pandan (an aromatic plant that grows in the Philippines and Thailand) and pandan gelatin cubes shaken with cream. It had a sweet, herb-y flavor.

We had a very good, inexpensive dinner here last night. I had the same pork dish that waves2ya mentioned...crispy rata, which is little chunks of fried pork with a vinegar/shallot dipping sauce. That was excellent. The owner mentioned this dish is more of as Filipino style dish. Ghostrider mentions Wondee's, but this place is not strictly Thai, so it's hard to compare. We started off with Vietnamese spring rolls, which had very fresh herbs, and the siaomi dumplings...nice, but I though the sauce was a bit strong. My wife's chicken gata was also very flavorful...I forget exactly what was in it, but it tasted distinctly Thai (coconut/lemongrass/basil). And the Pandan special drink (with pandan leaves) was good, but strange. It is very refreshing, neon green, with bits of green jello and white slimey bits in it. The owner mentioned coconut being in there, but the slimey bits didn't taste like coconut to me. I had 2 of these. The bright orange walls and 60's lounge music make for an interesting ambiance. Very good food...and the bill came to $45 before tip.

406 Broad St. in Bloomfield