• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kaffir Limes

LindyCat

Someone mentioned making kaffircello in one thread, garnishing with the leaves in another, but I've been looking for these limes all over for cooking Thai--with no luck. Does anyone know where in Chicago I can find these elusive fruits, or even what their season is? And would anyone care to recommend further uses for them once they are located?

Someone mentioned making kaffircello in one thread, garnishing with the leaves in another, but I've been looking for these limes all over for cooking Thai--with no luck. Does anyone know where in Chicago I can find these elusive fruits, or even what their season is? And would anyone care to recommend further uses for them once they are located?

The leaves are used to flavor various thai dishes and the rind of the fruit is also used for curries and such. Not sure about the juice. I've only ever seen the leaves in asian grocery stores, usually frozen.

You can purchase your own little tree from Four Winds Citrus. The dwarf trees do fine in containers indoors and will provide you with an endless supply of leaves. Also lots of information about them and other citrus on the site. Looks like they typically provide fruit in the fall.

http://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/lore/kaffir_lime.html

By the way, this isn't a random google. I have one of Four Wind's dwarf meyer lemons and have a friend who shipped two kaffir limes from them to her mom in Colorado. They are a great company with great plants. If only I had enough room for a couple more trees...

Erik

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I buy the fresh kaffir limes from my local (and wonderful) grocery store, but they only have them every 2 years or so. The season seems to be Jan. These are grown in California. When I was in Chicago I would buy them frozen at the Thai Grocery on Broadway and Argyle. If you don't see them, ask one of the friendly shopkeepers, they'll tell you when they'll be back in stock. We would also buy kalamanzi limes at grocery stores along the strip, which are much more readily available, and the juice is used in a lot of Malaysian and S'porean cooking. Come to think of it, they made good cocktails too, but our favorite was salty lemonade. I never see them here in pdx, which is a shame.

regards,

trillium