• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Houston] recs for a visiting Northeasterner

sockii

Hello folks, I come asking for your assistance.

In two weeks, my boyfriend and I will be in Houston for a weekend convention, and we're interested in some good restaurant recs. We'll have at least Friday and Saturday night to explore and sample some eats, and will have a rental car (we'll be staying near the Galleria, so somewhere in that reasonably close area would be good.)

Basically we're looking for something unique to the area--outstanding BBQ or killer Mexican/Tex-Mex (I'm seriously hankering for that as the pickings are so slim and mediocre here in Philadelphia.) Price is not a big issue, though we'd prefer a place that doesn't require reservations since our schedule could be a little tricky to predict.

Thanks in advance for any help!

sockii

| South Jersey Foodie |

Most barbecue and Tex-Mex joints don't take reservations.

Luling City Market on Richmond near the Galleria has excellent barbecue.

Drexler's (yes, Clyde's father) is also very good barbecue. It's further away.

Pico's in Bellaire may have the best Tex-Mex in the city. Chuy's, an Austin based chain, on Westheimer is good basic Tex-Mex. Teala's on Shepherd has the best margaritas.

Americas is an interesting turn on South American food. It does require reservations.

Houston has a very large Asian community, primarily Vietnamese and Thai with some Korean, Chinese and Indian. If those interest you, we can give you some additional suggestions.

Enjoy your visit.

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe

Tex-Mex: Pico's on Bellaire is terrific mid-price (might be a short wait, not sure if they take reservations). For really upscale is Hugo's on Westheimer (might need reservations). There's local-owned joints on just about any street corner.

BBQ: Williams on Wheatley. Go at lunch & eat outside if it's a nice day....doesn't get any better than that! Get the brisket & ribs with peach cobbler for dessert.

Enjoy our fare city!!

For BBQ I couldn't think of a worse place to send you then Drexlers. Instead go to Williams as Kerr suggests or Thelmas. At both places you get very good Brisket and ribs. Both places are traditional east texas, black BBQ. Basically the style is good smoke and sweetish bbq sauce. The sides and Thelams are amazing, especially the potato salad and the okra.

For Tex-mex I woul hit either the original Ninfas on Navigation, not far from the Goerge R Brown, only this location is to be eaten at. Or El Tiempo on Richmond for the best chicken fajitas. This is the only place I get chicken!

Also, Hugos is great for upscale authenticish mexican. Its in the Montrose area near downtown.

Churrascos on Westheimer for Churrasco Steak and tres leches is a real gem of a restaurant.

Edited by jscarbor (log)

You won't need a reservation for Hugos, worst case scenario is that you have to have a fabulous margarita at the bar for about 20 minutes.

I second Lulings and Thelmas for BBQ, go to Lulings for proximity. I also second Americas, but would go to Hugos first for a unique to Houston experience. Near the Galleria on Post Oak is Berryhill Tamales, a place to go get great tacos, enchiladas, and tamales. They have great salsa and chips and decent margaritas. You can get tacos like tempura fish tacos or BBQ pork tacos or combos of anything.

I also agree with Teala's on Shepard for best margaritas and fabulous food.

Please post on this thread about your experiences. We really value the feedback.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 2 weeks later...
Please post on this thread about your experiences. We really value the feedback.

I just wanted to post a follow-up now that I'm home and again thank everyone for the recommendations.

Friday night we ended up at Pico's--I was really craving good Mexican and this was exactly what I was hoping for! The place was jumping but we got a table within about 10 minutes (and had barely received our monstrous Margaritas at the bar). We had a great waiter who recommended we try a mixed seafood appetizer, I forget the name of it, which was sauted in oil, onion, and served with lime wedges--out of sight! The chips were good and so were the salsas. I ordered the achiote-seasoned snapper wrapped in banana leaves, which was incredibly delicious--flavorful and light (no typical greasefest here), which came with interesting pickled red onions and good Mexican rice. My boyfriend tried the Mancha manteles and enjoyed it a lot as well. The flour tortillas that came with the entrees were again excellent--I can't tell you how good it is to get a taste of how fresh tortillas are SUPPOSED to taste after suffering through so much second-rate stuff up in the Northeast!

I was too stuffed for anything more than coffee at that point, although the boyfriend somehow found room for Key Lime Pie.

Saturday we debated trying a barbeque place, but we were so impressed with Pico's we decided not to tempt fate and just go back to try some more things off the menu. This time we got the ceviche in tomato sauce with avocados to start (yum! But very very hot!) Boyfriend got the Snapper Veracruz; I had the chicken in black mole sauce, which I absolutely loved.

All in all it was definitely some of the best Mexican food I've had the pleasure of enjoying and I'm looking forward to coming back next year when I work the same convention in town for another round. And maybe that time I'll get to try some more places around town as well if I can stay for a few more days.

sockii

| South Jersey Foodie |