• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

5 days in Boston

highchef

I know this is corny (as in corned beef) but the ultimate Boston experience on St. Paddie's is a meal at Durgin Park. You can get a Flintstones sized portion of prime rib, be insulted by rude waitresses (though not as tart as they used to be), and watch assorted Bostonians get raucous and silly. Not for the faint of heart!

oh oh you have to get a Reuben from Sam Lagrassie's in the Financial District...Soooo good, damn I miss those things. Also as I'm sure it's been said many times East Coast Grill is fantastic.

I know this is corny (as in corned beef) but the ultimate Boston experience on St. Paddie's is a meal at Durgin Park.  You can get a Flintstones sized portion of prime rib, be insulted by rude waitresses (though not as tart as they used to be), and watch assorted Bostonians get raucous and silly.  Not for the faint of heart!

Sounds like fun! thanks!

Galleygirl and I share the same faves. I'd add to her Chinatown list Penang, a Malaysian restaurant that is a cut above in atmosphere to most in Chinatown (for example, Peach Farm has the most sublime scallops--in shell with garlic and sometimes vermicelli--and softshell crabs, but the basement location, harsh lighting and formica tables can scare off folks who don't know better).

Yes, I absolutely LOVE Penang. Went there with a bunch of hardcore foodies, several were chefs, and we tried lots of dishes, even those on the 'special' menu, with crazy things like fishhead soup.

Everything is delicious, and the roti bread with curry dipping sauce is addictive. I've been back countless times since.

I am back and had a wonderful time. A long walk in the snow to Formaggio's kitchen (south end) ended in a 3 figure take out of wine, cheese, cookies (pear, and so good) pate', Perbellini bread which I carried home for Easter on the plane. Gifts for all the people I farmed my kids out to. Mostly Chocolates. The only 'common' thing I bought there were some Carrs' water crackers to go with the pate' and cheese. Thank you for telling me about that, it was so worth getting lost (I did it first day out, in the snow and REALLY discovered that end of town. The resturants...a little later I'll go into them, have to pick up now, but wanted to say a big THANK YOU to you guys for the help.