• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fromage Blanc in NYC?

When I went to France a few summers ago, I became obsessed with fromage blanc. When I came back to NYC, I couldn't find it anywhere. :sad: I tried the one made by Vermont Cheese Company (or something similarly named) and it didn't come close. Anyone know where in the city to get the good stuff that will taste like what I had in france? It was very light- very similar in texture to yogurt, just a tiny bit firmer. Packaged the way yogurt is packaged here. Any advice?

I also have an obsessive craving for good fromage blanc (which i just eat with sugar). You're right, Vermont Cheese Co. has absolutely nothing to do with the real thing. I have looked close to everywhere for it, to no avail.

Bond Girl - I wasn't aware of the green market stand (which one by the way, is it the guy that yells all day that he sells heaven? cato? ronnybrook?) :smile:

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

I have no idea how traditional it is, but I really enjoyed the Fromage Blanc at ChikaLicious.

I, too, enjoyed the Fromage Blanc cheesecake at ChikaLicious. The texture was so light, and the flavor was great.

Also, when I ate at Blue Hill a few weeks ago, they had Fromage Blanc souffle on the dessert menu. If that dessert is anything like the rest of their food, there's no doubt in my mind it would be quite tasty.

Sorry these two recommendations are not specifically what you are looking for, but they may offer a nice tasty diversion while your search for the cheese continues. :biggrin:

When I went to France a few summers ago, I became obsessed with fromage blanc. When I came back to NYC, I couldn't find it anywhere.  :sad: I tried the one made by Vermont Cheese Company (or something similarly named) and it didn't come close. Anyone know where in the city to get the good stuff that will taste like what I had in france? It was very light- very similar in texture to yogurt, just a tiny bit firmer. Packaged the way yogurt is packaged here. Any advice?

Where have you looked, astrayacorazon?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

they sell fromage blanc (also called fromage frais) at ideal cheese. it comes in 200g (8oz+/-) tubs and they have it in plain and strawberry. they get deliveries usually once a week, but call first and make sure they have it.

they are located around 52nd and 1st ave, but i could be off by a block or two.