• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oil for frying

tcavallo

I have recently started deep frying, concentrating primarily on creating the perfect french fry at home. I never noticed before, but its damn hard to buy large quantities of oil in NYC. I am looking mostly for peanut oil. Does anyone know of a good source? I was hoping Freshdirect would offer things like that, as the prospect of carrying multiple gallons of oil home doesn't sound all that fun, but they don't seem to do much in bulk.

Edited by tcavallo (log)

They seem to use mostly "salad oil" in Chinatown, but I'm wondering if you could get a big quantity of peanut oil in A&C in Flushing, the Hong Kong Supermarket on Pike St. in Manhattan, etc. I don't guarantee anything, but I think that's the neighborhood that's most likely to have what you're looking for, unless you can deal directly with wholesalers.

Michael aka "Pan"

Restaurants use 35lb containers of oil - you should be able to find them at Costco, Smart & Final, or your neighborhood food distributor.

It should cost you around $30.

You can also check with area Home Depot's - If they carry Turkey Fyers they also have bulk oil.

Let us know when you master the perfect FF

Edited by Burt1961 (log)

Chinatown definitely has peanut oil in a 1.8 L plastic container. I haven't seen any larger, and I've looked. It costs around $8 for that size. I've found it at several different grocers including the large supermarket (sorry, can't recall the name) a couple blocks South of Grand on Mott. The market sports red awnings and is conspicuously large. I'm confident that the Hong Kong Market mentioned above also carries it, but ask them for the precise shelf location because I simply could not find it on my own.

Incidentally, if you don't already know, the Steingarten 'method' for preparing french fries works very well. It's discussed in his first book. I believe he recommends using goose fat, but since that is prohibitively expensive, I like to use a mixture of peanut oil and lard.

Chinatown definitely has peanut oil in a 1.8 L plastic container.  I haven't seen any larger, and I've looked.  It costs around $8 for that size.  I've found it at several different grocers including the large supermarket (sorry, can't recall the name) a couple blocks South of Grand on Mott.  The market sports red awnings and is conspicuously large.  I'm confident that the Hong Kong Market mentioned above also carries it, but ask them for the precise shelf location because I simply could not find it on my own.

Incidentally, if you don't already know, the Steingarten 'method' for preparing french fries works very well.  It's discussed in his first book.  I believe he recommends using goose fat, but since that is prohibitively expensive, I like to use a mixture of peanut oil and lard.

Oddly enough, my starting points were that same Steingarten book and the Les Halles Cookbook. Results so far have been acceptable with soybean oil (the only oil I could find in gallons at the supermarket). I have been spending a lot of time in Chinatown lately, and I didn't even think of checking with the larger grocers there. 1.8 L for $8 is slightly better than $5 for whatever those little Planters bottles hold in most stores.

I want to get a steady supply of peanut oil, then get the temps and times down, then start working with different potatoes. I'll let you know if I make any discoveries. And the lard... I nearly forgot!

I have recently started deep frying, concentrating primarily on creating the perfect french fry at home.  I never noticed before, but its damn hard to buy large quantities of oil in NYC.  I am looking mostly for peanut oil.  Does anyone know of a good source?  I was hoping Freshdirect would offer things like that, as the prospect of carrying multiple gallons of oil home doesn't sound all that fun, but they don't seem to do much in bulk.

Jetro, Hamilton ave, bklyn- $28.85/ 35lbs