• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can Can in Richmond

Seand04

Who has been to the new "Can Can" yet?

I am excited to have a new French Bistro in Cary Town and at the same time I am skeptical that the owner also ran Havana 59 which I never cared for.

If anyone has been I would love to hear about it as I am going next weekend.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

personally i'm going to boycott the place! i went back in february and spent 20 minutes sitting at a cafe table in front of the maitre. no one bothered to hand me a menu or even acknowledge my existence. i've made sure that my friends know this too. so much for trendy french in carytown!

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

• 1 year later...

So, how was it? Are there any Can Can fans out there? I've walked by it a couple of times, and it looked a little... touristy. I'm a fan of French bistro/brasserie cooking, but I just don't know about the looks of this place. Any comments?

I'll have to stop by and have some confit de canard one of these days; when it comes to French cooking, you can keep the fancy stuff and just give me a good steak/frites or some confit de canard...

I am excited to have a new French Bistro in Cary Town and at the same time I am skeptical that the owner also ran Havana 59 which I never cared for. 

Thanks!

I, too, have heard it is great. Not run by Havava 59 owner, but his brother Chris. Let us know if you like, haven't been there yet. DH not into the French food experience, so I'm not sure we'll ever go there.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks!

I, too, have heard it is great. Not run by Havava 59 owner, but his brother Chris. Let us know if you like, haven't been there yet. DH not into the French food experience, so I'm not sure we'll ever go there.

Sondra, does he like steak and french fries? Look at this sample menu. I can't imagine anyone not being able to find something they like. We went with my in laws for our daughter's birthday and they are the most unadventuresome people I know and they loved it. It has a fairly relaxed atmosphere and the staff is friendly, I have found. Kim

Thanks!

Our favorite thing to do at Can Can is sit at the bar and have a nice glass of French rose or house red and down a couple of their burgers topped with gruyere. Throw in some moule frites and I am a happy gal. However, twice I have had the raw oysters, and at least 2 oysters out of the dozen on my plate, were flat-out rotten-- and I mean green, smelly, get-the-quickstep kind of oysters. I was appalled that the chef who shucked the oysters didn't so much of give each one a sniff before sending those rotten things out. Didn't help when the bartenders charged me for the uneaten oysters anyway (they are priced per piece). This happened on two separate occasions, mind you.

Also, had a sit-down type dinner a few times as well, and thought the food and service was middle-of-the-road. Nothing outstanding. Simple, good food. Can Can has all the elements in place for a fun time--no doubt, but it depends on what you are looking for. Due take note: if you go on a Friday or Sat., there can be VERY long waits.

Sunday afternoons they have $1 oysters if you want to take the risk as well as $5 burger plates heaped with yummy frites. Same goes for shrimp--they are a buck and really large. On other nights they do half off house carafes, but I can't remember which nights. Also, heard they might start up a wine education program that will run 10 weeks, which might be cool.

• 4 weeks later...

My recent experience was less fortunate. My mussels were unbearded and old. If you have cooked mussels you know that older dead (nasty) ones will tend to split onto the two shell halves when steamed. My entire order was this way--and smelled unappetizing. I couldn't even dip my bread. The server was not too terribly impressed with my complaint--which I find hard to take because any establishment that serves a lot of mussels will eventually run into this situation from time to time.

The fries were nice...