• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chickpeas in a Romertof?

cacao

Hello:

I'm new here - I did attempt to answer my question with a search - but I didn't quite manage to get it answered, though I got close!

I want to give claypot cookery of chickpeas a try, however, I don't have a nice cazuela or other such eartherware glazed pot. It sounds from past posts that using one of those on the stovetop is more common than what I am thinking. I have a Romertof unglazed pot, for inside the oven, and I was hoping to use it to cook some presoaked chickpeas. My question is, does anyone have a feel for whether or not this will work adequately? I note the Romertof is more often used with drier preparations (I bought the thing for baking bread in, which it is great at).

If it will work, I'm wondering what temperature to set my oven at, and about how long it wil take to cook the chickpeas. And about how much liquid I ought to use (I want to cook them in a nice mildly spicy broth). Anyone know?

Thank you!

Cacao

Edited by cacao (log)

Welcome to the Society, cacao.

I have never used one of those or an unglazed clay pot of any sort. And I have no idea if a Romertof will translate to being used as a bean pot.

But I can tell you my formula for all kinds of dried beans, including garbanzos. This is what we lovingly call "the Parson's method" that was discussed at great length here. For one pound of beans: I do not soak, use 5 cups of water and 1 teaspoon salt, add other ingredients for seasoning. In a pot like a Le Creuset, bring to a boil on top of the stove. Put the lid on and put into a 250 degrees F oven. It should take about 2 to 2 1/2 hours for garbanzos. If you soaked them it may not take that long. I check the liquid level at about 1 hour and adjust if necessary. Using the clay pot you won't be bringing it to a boil on top of the stove so it may take a bit longer but I don't know how much.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Welcome cacao,

I haven't cooked any sort of dried bean in a romertopf, but I did find the following recipe in a book published by the Romertopf company back in 1971.

Butter beans with Bacon.

First soak 3/4 pound butter beans overnight, then place them in a soaked romertopf with some chopped onions, tomatoes, bacon, and about 2 cups liquid. Set in a cold oven and bring the temperature up to 400 degrees and cook the mixture for about 3 hours.

I don't know if the resulting texture would be as wonderful as it would be if cooked in a beanpot or a sandpot. I'll be very interested to read your results

Edited by Wolfert (log)

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

Thank you, Fifi and Paula, for the speedy responses.

Paula, as I am new to your cookbooks, I've not yet cooked beans in a beanpot or sandpot - so I suppose I won't have much basis for comparison! In the past I have only cooked dried beans by soaking overnight, and then dumping them into my electric crockpot with *lots* of liquid.

I'm going to give this a go on Sunday, by soaking the chickpeas with a touch of baking soda overnight,

giving them a good rinse, bringing them to a boil on the stovetop first(?) and letting them cool, then into the Romertof they will go, with just enough liquid to cover them up.

I'll post the results as best I can, given my limited experience. I must say, the cazuelas I saw at the Spanish Table in Berkeley a few days ago, look most appealing for future purchasing....

thank you for the welcomes,

Cacao

Cazuelas are wonderful for cooking all sorts of dishes but I wouldn't use them for beans or chickpeas. Dried beans (soaked or not) are really best cooked in pots shaped as the one pictured below.

And you are absolutely right about not having to cook beans in a large amount of liquid. In fact, it's actually better if you use less.

I believe chickpeas need soaking. In the Mediterranean, where I lived for many years chick peas were often soaked for up to 24 hours with one or two changes of water to keep them from fermenting. The chickpeas always turned out silken...almost buttery without falling apart.

gallery_8703_623_1106078141.jpg

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

I am curious (may be i did not catch it), how are you serving your chickpeas? You mentionned a spicy broth, are you making a soup?

Hello, Zeitoun:

No, you did not miss it; I didn't specify.

I am planning on a stew, something approximating Moroccan in it's flavors. Chickpeas in veg. stock, with baby carrots and red peppers and maybe artichokes, if I can find a few fresh ones. Parsley, preserved lemon, olives and smoked paprika will make up most of the seasonings, with perhaps a touch of the harissa I made the other night. At least, that's what I am currently thinking!

I am curious (may be i did not catch it), how are you serving your chickpeas? You mentionned a spicy broth, are you making a soup?

Hello, Zeitoun:

No, you did not miss it; I didn't specify.

I am planning on a stew, something approximating Moroccan in it's flavors. Chickpeas in veg. stock, with baby carrots and red peppers and maybe artichokes, if I can find a few fresh ones. Parsley, preserved lemon, olives and smoked paprika will make up most of the seasonings, with perhaps a touch of the harissa I made the other night. At least, that's what I am currently thinking!

That sounds great, I'm looking forward to seeing it on this thread!!

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

I'll be interested to hear how this comes out, since I have been thinking about making soup or stew in mine. I would caution you about pouring boiling or even very hot water into a cold Romertopf. I think the risk of it cracking would be substantial. I suggest lukewarm water in a room temperature Romertopf started in a cold oven.