• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Tampa BBQ

schmooty

I am heading to Tampa on Thursday for my buddy's bachelor party. We will be eating at Sideburn's on Saturday, and I would love to find a great BBQ joint for Friday night. I know it's kind of last minute, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Al

After looking at both menu's, First Choice BBQ seems more up my alley. No frills, down home BBQ. I will post a review when I return. Thanks G. Gourmet and Lambretta for the quick responses.

When one hears a distress cry for barbecue and the individual has one foot on the plane already, time is of the essence! :laugh: Hope you enjoy the weekend with your friends and the barbecue as well, schmooty!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Next time I'm in town I'll have to try out First Choice BBQ. FOr locals, though, I'd love to hear a comparison of the two joints. I'm from NYC, so I'm not exactly a Q expert, but I do work out of an office based in AL, so I have had some good Q.

The only thing that turns me off at Hot Rod's (besides that somewhatr tacky decor) is the Lutz Lake Water drink, which has real frog eggs in it... nasty!

I have been going to First Choice since 1995. They are located in East Tampa in a shopping center about 1 block West of I-75 on State Road 60. There is a Home Depot anchoring the shopping center. They are located next to the US Post office back near the Old Time Pottery. Hope I don't get you lost.

As far as the food, I really dig their chopped/pulled pork and pork ribs. But it's the sauce that's really good. It's your typical sweet Southern Style BBQ but there is enough of a mustardy spice/tang to balance the sweet. I like their cole slaw. It's a bit different in the sense that they put garlic powder in theirs. Plus, I think they actually use lettuce. Yeah, lettuce. Somehow that lettuce texture works for me.

Anyhow, First Choice is the only choice as far as I am concerned given that I live on that side of town and the alternative is Sonny's, which I think is mediocre at best.

GiftedG, Is Fatt Matt's in Atlanta still bringing in the crowds on the weekends? When I lived in the ATL, that was my favorite BBQ joint.

GiftedG, Is Fatt Matt's in Atlanta still bringing in the crowds on the weekends? When I lived in the ATL, that was my favorite BBQ joint.

That it is! :biggrin: It is still a long time Atlanta favorite! Fat Matt's serves up some of the city's best barbecue in the city ... and for blues fans, Fat Matt's is also a great place to hear live music (it was also a finalist for best blues club) :wink: Thanks for asking, wrek92!

Anyhow, First Choice is the only choice as far as I am concerned given that I live on that side of town and the alternative is Sonny's, which I think is mediocre at best.

That's funny. We passed by Sonny's but we didn't have anytime to check it out at all.

First Choice turned out to be a solid choice for BBQ. I wasn't a huge fan of the pork, as I found it to be a little dry and more of a chicken- or turkey-like consistancy.

The sausage was superb! Of what I tried, it was the highlight of the restaurant. Smokey, full-flavored and delicious. The brisket was pretty tasty w/ a sweet aftertaste.

I only got a bite or two of the ribs, but they were tasty, and if ever I were to go back, I'd order them to give them a full chance.

I really enjoyed the BBQ sauce. wrek gave a good description of the flavor with which I agree.

Such an inexpensive meal as well. I got 1/2 lb each of pork, brisket and sausage, w/ some fries and water for about $15, and there was plenty to take home after the meal for a late-night snack.

Thanks to the Gifted Gourmet for the recommendation!

Edited by hitmanoo (log)

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Hitmanoo was 1 of the 11 of us who had a great meal at First Choice BBQ. The brisket, sausage and macaroni salad were all outstanding. The brisket was smoked perfectly and the mac salad had a really nice kick too it. The beans had lots of pork and were very sweet. Some thought they were the best beans they ever had. The coleslaw was also topnotch, and make sure to order some fritters as well. The BBQ sauce was so good I bought 2 huge bags of Tyson's popcorn chicken to dunk in the sauce later that evening. If you are in or around Tampa, I highly recommend checking this place out. Thanks for the great choice Gifted Gourmet.

If you are in or around Tampa, I highly recommend checking this place out. Thanks for the great choice Gifted Gourmet.

The pleasure was all mine, to be sure, schmooty! Glad it went so incredibly well! Thanks for the followup review .. it may inspire others to check the place out for themselves! :wink: