• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

buffalo wing sauce help

maui420

All those suggestions make sense. My husband read somewhere on the web a while back (can't recall the site)... that the sauce (GTN) consisted of Open Pit BBQ sauce and duck sauce among other things.

It would be great if we could order , say, a gallon jug of it :blink: ! We love it that much.

The local Cluck U. that we go to is stingy with their sauce. We always ask for them to be extra wet and when we do buy some sauce to bring home they charge about $2 for a tiny container :angry: .

If we have any luck tinkering with the recipe, I'll let you know :wink: .

awesome suggestions everyone, thanks.

last night, i tried 3 different mixtures. red hot, luisiana hot sauce, and texas pete.

each mixture was 50/50 with unsalted butter, a little dash of garlic powder, minced galic, black pepper, and a dash of vinnegar.

im thinking i like texas pete slightly more than red hot. i slowly melted the butter, and then added the hot sauce. BIG Difference. lol

now, its maybe 50% closer to the sauce im trying to duplicate from "the coop". (thecoopnj.com)

im thinking the sauce should be a little thinner, a little less buttery taste, hotter, and more vinnergary.

if i where to make buffolo wing sauce from scratch, how does water, vinnegar, hot sauce, a little butter or cornstarch to thicken, paprika for color, and a few other things sound?

All those suggestions make sense. My husband read somewhere on the web a while back (can't recall the site)... that the sauce (GTN) consisted of Open Pit BBQ sauce and duck sauce among other things.

It would be great if we could order , say, a gallon jug of it  :blink:  ! We love it  that much.

The local Cluck U. that we go to is stingy with their sauce. We always ask for them to be extra wet and when we do buy some sauce to bring home they charge about $2 for a tiny container  :angry:  .

If we have any luck tinkering with the recipe, I'll let you know  :wink:  .

This is interesting in that I LOVE buffalo wings but never thought to make my own sauce. I always used Anchor Bar HOT but I also add a hot sauce to that because it's not hot enough. The hot sauce I add is Blair's Death Sauce (Blair's Death Sauce @ Hot Licks). It has a nice bite and a slight vinegery taste to it that complements the wing sauce as opposed to changing it with it's own flavor. I'll have to try making my own sauce using Blair's next time.

Cheers,

Bob

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Well I grew up in upstate NY and have had my share of wing experiences, so I'll throw in my $0.02. I have often found the Anchor Bar wings to be too soggy. Some nights you'll get a better batch, but in general I think that too think a sauce will wet the wings too much.

That said, the best wings I have ever had were at the New York State Fair, when I was about 14. To this day they are my favorite; unfortunately 9 years of veganism in the interim had kept me from the foods of the Fair, and I don't even know if the same place still exists, but rest assured it will be one of the first places I check on this summer.

Anyway, the sauce was a blend (made on the spot for each batch of wings) of Heinz Ketchup, Frank's Red Hot, and McIlhenny Tabasco. I have adopted this blend myself, and find that 1/2 c of Red Hot, 1/3 c Ketchup, and 1/6 c Tabasco is about right for a dozen wings. I know it sounds odd, but try it, its good, and somehow hotter than it should be.I have experimented with adding red pepper flakes, a few shots of habanero sauce, cayenne, etc... this sauce takes well to additions.

I like to heat it up a bit first, throw it in a plastic tub, throw the wings in straight from the fryer, cover, shake, and eat. The viscosity of the ketchup helps coat the wings better and keep them from getting too soggy.

Also, if you like your wings crispy, dredging them in seasoned flour before frying helps a bit.

Also, if you like your wings crispy, dredging them in seasoned flour before frying helps a bit.

It is possible to get them even crispier without the flour, but you need meaty wings with some nice skin.

If you get your oil blazing hot, have nice meaty wings that won't dry out fast, and don't overcrowd your fryer, you will get a great 'chicken cracklin' effect from the skin, cripsier and chewier than any bread crust.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

It is possible to get them even crispier without the flour, but you need meaty wings with some nice skin.

If you get your oil blazing hot, have nice meaty wings that won't dry out fast, and don't overcrowd your fryer, you will get a great 'chicken cracklin' effect from the skin, cripsier and chewier than any bread crust.

And make sure they are as dry as possible before frying.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

All of the recipes/ variations sound good, but I too am searching for a wing sauce recipe. Google has NOT been my friend  :raz:  .

I need something that replicates Cluck U.'s Global Termo Nuclear, it's one step below their hottest which is 911.

I don't think it's butter or margarine / Tabasco based... seems to have cayenne in it, and it's a rich tomatoey colored sauce.

It's spicy good.

Anyone familiar with Cluck U. ?

I haven't had Cluck U wings in (too many to count) years. The original location opened when I was at Rutgers. They were some of the best wings I've ever eaten. Their sauce was the perfect combination of hot, sweet and sticky, like a combination of buffalo wing sauce and bbq sauce.

Now I'm getting hungry... :wacko:

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

• 3 weeks later...

How do you guys keep the sauce from separating? I seem to always end up with a big oil slick on the top. It looks everyone else is recommending melting the butter first, then adding the hot sauce- I've been doing it the other way around.

I tried tempering in some egg white last night to stabilize it- needless to say I can't recommend that approach. :unsure::unsure:

visit my food blog: beurremonte.blogspot.com

rascal. Just warm the sauce through. i usually heat all the ingredients until warm and then (off heat) add my butter which i have cut up into peices. swirl this until the butter melt and it will emulsify nicely. If the sauce needs a little extra heat to melt the butter just microwave it for a few sec. The sauce doesn't need to be hot, just warm.

My wings come right out of the fryer and into the sauce, not ALL of the sauce, just enough to coat the screaming hot wings. i found the wings stay crispier longer than drowning them. you can always add more.

This is a bulk wing sauce recipe that i made WAY too many times in college. Just found it yesterday digging through old stuff. Thought i'd share.

Wing Sauce

3 gal. durkee red hot

1.5 #10 cans tomato paste

5 lb. butter

6 oz. tabasco

2 Tbsp. white pepper

2 Tbsp. celery salt

2 Tbsp. poultry seasoning.

Warm all ingredients until combined. place in containers for service.

Now, i never questioned the recipe as a college hack, but when i pulled this recipe out i thought "why the 6 oz of tabasco when you already have 3 gal. of other hot sauce" On the other hand, they were damn good wings. if you've ever been to a penn state football game, you've probably had them.

...and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce it tastes alot more like prunes than rhubarb does. groucho

Took another shot this weekend- I think I've got a good formula now. Slowly melt a stick of butter, add in a little less than a cup of Red Hot, then finish to taste with Sriracha chili sauce. Didn't break and was enough for 2 dozen jumbo wings with plenty left over for celery dipping.

Thanks for your help.

visit my food blog: beurremonte.blogspot.com

• 3 weeks later...

i have a question.

my favorite chicken wing place sells their sauce in cup sized containers. i noticed that the sauce stays liquidy in room temperature. can i assume that the sauce in not butter or margerine based?