• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

E. M. Pashman

E. M. Pashman

I am going to have to go back to Sam's course and see if we have discussed the performance difference between 2.0 and 2.5 mm.

I'm interested in this as well. Sam's course and Q&A doesn't address this explicitly, and there's not much other information available on eG or the web at large. I've read before that 2.5mm copper is considered ideal, but the reasoning varies: some say 2.5mm yields better thermal properties, and others say 2.5mm is preferred simply for durability (copper being so soft).

Do any of you who have used both grades have any opinions? I'm looking at the Mauviel Cuprinox 2.5mm versus the new Cuprinox Style 2.0mm. The Style line has stainless-steel handles and rolled rims going for it, which is why I'm considering it despite the thinner copper. (I also may be able to get them for a lower price than the normal line, so the normal price premium is not an issue.)

So if anyone has any thoughts on the performance of 2.5mm copper versus 2.0mm, I'd like to hear them. If 2.0mm approximates the 2.5mm experience, the stainless-steel handles, rolled rims, and reduced weight of the Style line would tempt me.

Eric