• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cherry-themed wedding

FlourPower

We're working on a wedding for a bride who's into the rustic thing (which we're into as well) and she wanted cherry pies for her wedding. She understood that cherry pies for everyone was not practical.

After much discussion, she decided on a chocolate ganache cake with cherry mousse. She'd still like to serve some cherry pies. She's got 300 people coming, though, so we're thinking about doing something that would serve 50. The rest can have cake.

What's an elegant way of presenting cherry pies for 50 people?

We're working on a wedding for a bride who's into the rustic thing (which we're into as well) and she wanted cherry pies for her wedding. She understood that cherry pies for everyone was not practical.

After much discussion, she decided on a chocolate ganache cake with cherry mousse. She'd still like to serve some cherry pies. She's got 300 people coming, though, so we're thinking about doing something that would serve 50. The rest can have cake.

What's an elegant way of presenting cherry pies for 50 people?

How about little cherry crumb tarts? With a tiny scoop of cherry garcia ice cream on the side? Yummy. Or, I would personally prefer cherry crepes, to me the best part of pie is the filling, I always skip the crust.

Does it have to be cherry pies?

I make a cherry tart using a pre-baked butter crust, filling it with grand marnier creme patissiere and topping it with cherries that have been macerated in rum. You could use other types of liqueur and alcohol or not use it. You could also make chocolate creme patissiere.

I also use other berries, such as raspberries, blackberries and blueberries.

Or you could make sour cherry strudel.

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

I second the cherry tart idea: Individual servings, great presentation, and not too difficult to mass-produce.

Have you thought of boughs of cherry tree blossoms near the cake station? I bet there are lots of Japanese or Taiwanese suppliers for the fake stuff!

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

It seems like it would be easy enough to make big pans of cherry cobbler or, if you want to be neater, smaller individual servings.

Also? *LOVE* the cherry blossom idea... they are so pretty! (they would look wonderful on the cake too)

Thank you all for your replies. They are all great ideas. I think the tart idea may work the best in this situation, because the reception is cocktail style. And the cherry blossoms are brilliant.

But in the future I will remember a pie for a centerpiece.

Edited by FlourPower (log)

how about sour cherry shortbread using biscuits as individual servings even dust the tops with pink sugar...

dont forget platters of chocolate covered cherries and Andies makes cherry thins

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

in the chocolate covered cherry arena, we make "happy cherries" every year (Cherries soaked in vodka or brandy with sugar for at least a month or two) and recently dipped these in chocolate for a dessert garnish. Truly wow!

I have trouble with the idea of doing a dessert for only some of the guests. there must be something that's practical to do for everyone... cherry compote in a prebaked pate sucre tart shell with a bit of creme fraiche on top?

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...