• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Recommendation in Central/South Jersey

Randi

Last year my company had its awards dinner at Lana's in Clark. The year before was Ashes in Red Bank. This year we are looking to have it at an upscale Chinese/Polynesian type restaurant, so that we can have an elaborate dinner buffet without the elaborate price tag. Actually, it doesn't have to be Chinese - we are open to suggestions.

We're looking for a place with private room to hold 40-50 people, a liquor license, and we are considering bringing in a band. The majority of attendees are from South Jersey (Mt. Laurel) and Ft. Washington, PA, the rest are from the Cranford area. So something near Mt. Laurel or further north would be best.

Any suggestions?

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

The place that immediately comes to mind is Le Me Toujours, a French-Asian fusion restaurant in Marlton, just 3 minutes west of Mount Laurel. I think it may meet all of your criteria except the liquor license, but a stop at a nearby liquor store could do; Here is the latest discussion of Le Me Toujours: Le Me Toujours Egullet Discussion

The place that immediately comes to mind is Le Me Toujours, a French-Asian fusion restaurant in Marlton, just 3 minutes west of Mount Laurel.  I think it may meet all of your criteria except the liquor license, but a stop at a nearby liquor store could do;  Here is the latest discussion of Le Me Toujours:  Le Me Toujours Egullet Discussion

Le Me Toujours has closed.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Mt. Laurel is tough, because it's the land of chain restaurants, and most of the good restaurants are BYOB.

Are you trying to keep it close to the turnpike? If not, maybe Cafe Lamberti in Cherry Hill or Catelli in Voorhees.

If you want to go the banquet hall route, I've been to a bunch of events (weddings, Christmas parties) at Regency Palace in Mt. Laurel. It's a nice place, attached to a hotel, and the food has always been great.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Highly recommend THE BLACK SWAN in the Larchmont shopping center off Rt 38 west in Mount Laurel.

A couple of miles south of The Black Swan is MISTO in The Village Walk center in Cherry Hill, off of Rt 70 West. Our favorite in the area and one of the best in NJ.

Both are BYO

Tom

Tom D

Thanks everyone!

Some questions - Tom, what type of restaurant is the Black Swan? And do you know if it has a private room?

Also, same questions re: MISTO.

Seems the Princeton area is a good possibility as well. We are looking at Good Time Charley's (near Princeton) and Grand Shanghai (I think it's on Rt 1 in Edison).

We'll be deciding soon, so any more suggestions/info would be welcome!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Since you mention that Princeton area is in the mix, one restaurant stands out like no other as THE definitive restaurant for your criteria: Rat's in Hamilton Township. (Don't get fooled by the name.) This place shares grounds with a sculpture museum, and has private rooms and a liquor license. It also has terrific food. I believe it has been reviewed favorably here many times, you might do a search, but Rat's seems to fit your bill to a "T"!!

Rat's

16 Fairgrounds Road

Hamilton, NJ

609-584-7800

Rat's Restaurant Website

Rat's seems to fit your bill to a "T"!!

Personally, I'd love to go to Rat's, I don't think it's in our budget :sad: We are trying to keep costs down, while still having a respectable event.

Easier said than done!

The Lawrenceville Inn has a few private rooms of different sizes able to accomadate up to 25 people. The price range for entrees is $24-30 and tasting menus are available. It is a BYO

Thanks, but we really need a place with a liquor license. We have a cocktail hour before our awards dinner. (and I was told - "no BYO")

Also, we need a place to accommodate 40-50.

Edited by Randi (log)

Personally, I'd love to go to Rat's, I don't think it's in our budget  :sad:  We are trying to keep costs down, while still having a respectable event. 

Easier said than done!

Rat's has special Catering Menus, might be within the budget-- Actually, for a large party, the cost difference might be small between Rat's and a much lower-quality place-- you might check with them as to costs...

Randi

Both The Black Swan and Misto are BYO, don't think that will fit with your group but here are the answers to your question.

The Black Swan is a modern eclectic menu with meat, seafood, fish all done with some "flair". No private room but there are two dining rooms, one off to the side and I'm sure you could reserve that room for a group.

Misto is Italian-Mediterranean two seperate dining rooms and a "special occasion" room that fits maybe 15. It would be used more for a small birthday party or maybe a wine group dinner.

Hope that helps

Tom

Tom D