• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jacksonville Restaurants

spikemom

May be coming to Jacksonville during Super Bowl week. Looking for local flavor recommendations, either casual or fine dining. Thanks.

A very knowledgeable poster over on Chowhound named mezzrow has posted several "local flavor" recommendations from time to time.

The only one I've tried is the Blue Boy Sandwich Shop. They have a couple of locations, I believe. If you're going to be in town for a few days, you've gotta check out the Blue Boy. The sandwiches are humongous, fantastic, and cheap. The rolls are baked in house and the guy who makes the sandwiches is a true artist. You will not be disappointed.

Edited by Chantilly Bob (log)

I have a student that is from Jacksonville, and he said that the best place in JAX is a place called Mathews, of which I cannot personally vouch for, but I can vouch for my student, who is a good guy. Check it out. Have fun at the Super Bowl, I hope your rooting for the PATS!!!!!!!

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

I live in Jacksonville - and a lot of restaurants are booked solid (individual reservations and tons of private parties).  Where do you think you'll be staying (this is a very large geographical area)?  Robyn

I think we'll be at the Radisson. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Maria Gallagher

I live in Jacksonville - and a lot of restaurants are booked solid (individual reservations and tons of private parties).  Where do you think you'll be staying (this is a very large geographical area)?  Robyn

I think we'll be at the Radisson. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

I assume you're talking about the Radisson downtown. That's a good central location for dining. Closest places I like in San Marco (very near downtown) are bb's and Bistro Aix. Last time I was at bb's (maybe a month ago) - it hadn't booked any private parties. Don't know about Bistro Aix. Both are "bistro type" places. Not cheap - but far from expensive. Matthew's in San Marco is fancier. It's good (although inconsistent) - but I prefer its sister restaurant - Restaurant Medure - in Ponte Vedra 1) because I live in Ponte Vedra; and 2) Mattthew's doesn't have a full liquor license (only wine and beer).

River City Brewing Company has a great location right across from downtown. Good microbrews. It has at least one big deal party booked - maybe more. I am sure it will be slammed. If it's serving Sunday brunch on Super Sunday - well that's my favorite meal there (home cold smoked salmon is excellent). Don't know how far you'll be driving - or where - but it has 3 sister restaurants - Ragtime in Atlantic Beach - Seven Bridges on the southside (Tinseltown) - and A1A Aleworks in St. Augustine. Slightly different brews. Your basic middle of the road restaurant fare with a southern accent at Ragtime and Seven Bridges and a Floribean accent at A1A. These places will likely be slammed too (they're popular with people who live here). Have to run now. More later. Robyn

Robyn, I didn't know those three were sister brewpubs to River City Brewing.  Thanks!

They aren't. I was in a hurry when I was writing. And made a mistake. River City is independent of A1A/Ragtime/Seven Bridges (the last 3 are related). Robyn

OK - a few more minutes to write. I'll note that my husband's dad died 3 weeks ago - and then my mom got really sick and was hospitalized. Between dealing with the death - and trips to the hospital in south Florida - I haven't had time to blow my nose - much less read the hundreds of eGullet messages piled up in my mail box. But since this inquiry is time-sensitive - and I'd like people to have a good trip here - I'll do my best.

Not too far from downtown is Riverside/Avondale. You should definitely get there at least once to 1) go to the Cummer Museum (don't miss the garden out back); and 2) look at the architecture (it's got one of the best collections of historically interesting houses in Florida). While there - I recommend a lunch/snack at Biscotti's (sister restaurant to bb's). They have great desserts. There's a new restaurant in this general area that's been recommended to me - Crush - but I haven't tried it yet.

As for "local flavor" - I assume you'll be looking for some BBQ. Jenkins near downtown is old and locally famous. I've eaten there - and don't think it's worth a journey from the Beaches (when I get near downtown - there are places I like better - and I have good BBQ close to where I live). But it's fine (although better suited for take-out than eat-in). And fairly close to you. There's a new cafe at JMOMA (Jacksonville Museum of Modern Art) downtown. OK for a quick lunch.

If you go for steak houses (not my cup of tea) - there's both a Morton's and a Ruth's Chris downtown.

If I were going to take just one drive to eat someplace nice - the place I'd go would be the Ritz Carlton up at Amelia Island (either for a formal dinner or a less formal lunch). Assuming I could get a reservation. It's about 45 minutes from downtown. And a pretty drive.

If you'll be in other areas of town - and want recommendations in those areas - just ask.

If you don't have a car (you should - everything is spead out here - but if you don't) - Carey Transportation is bringing in about 150 extra drivers/cars for the week. It's a dependable outfit in my experience.

Don't know how long you'll be here - or what you want to do. Unless you're heavy into the Super Bowl festivities (whatever they are - lots of heavy drinking?) - you'll run out of things to do in/near downtown pretty quickly. Downtown Jacksonville is like most Florida downtowns. Not much there. Anyway - when that happens - hit the road. Especially if the weather is nice. I'd recommend an afternoon at the beach (there's a new pier at Jacksonville Beach - and the Guana Preserve is very pretty); some time in St. Augustine (it really is the oldest city :smile: ); an afternoon at the zoo (it's a good zoo). Things like that. If you're a Baptist (I'm not) - you can take in a Sunday service at one of the largest (if not the largest) Baptist church in the country (First Baptist downtown). If you kayak - there's some great kayaking here. Etc. In other words - if you come to Jacksonville expecting a New Orleans style Super Bowl - you'll probably be disappointed. But if you explore a bit and find out what the Jacksonville area has to offer in terms of things you like to do - you'll have a good time. I'll try to answer any other questions you have best I can.

Finally - note for anyone who's reading this thread who's coming to Jacksonville and wants to play golf. I play at the TPC at Sawgrass - and there were tee times available Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Sunday/Monday last time I looked. Both on the Stadium and Valley courses. If anyone wants to play either of these courses - I'd be glad to try to arrange a tee time for you. Robyn

What a good e-guide you are, Robyn. I really appreciate that you've taken the time to furnish so many details. The person making our travel arrangements has changed hotels, etc. a couple of times already--so my plans aren't quite firm as to where I'm staying--but I'm also forwarding your great info to some friends from the Philadelphia Daily News who are coming down to cover the week's festivities.

Maria Gallagher

What a good e-guide you are, Robyn. I really appreciate that you've taken the time to furnish so many details. The person making our travel arrangements has changed hotels, etc. a couple of times already--so my plans aren't quite firm as to where I'm staying--but I'm also forwarding your great info to some friends from the Philadelphia Daily News who are coming down to cover the week's festivities.

Well I think everyone who lives here is trying to put down a little red carpet :smile: . If for no other reason than to counteract the trash talk. I used to live in Philadelphia many years ago - the Frank Rizzo days - and - if you've been there for a while - I'm sure you know what's it like to live in a city that doesn't get any respect :wink: . Robyn

• 3 months later...

check out www.jaxeats.com

They have Pastiche down as one of the best in town. Many people I know like Crush a lot, but I have also heard they can be tyrants to staff and some customers.... Makes me not inclined to support them.

Frau Farbissma: "It's a television commercial! With this cartoon leprechaun! And all of these children are trying to chase him...Hey leprechaun! Leprechaun! We want to get your lucky charms! Haha! Oh, and there's all these little tiny bits of marshmallow just stuck right in the cereal so that when the kids eat them, they think, 'Oh this is candy! I'm having fun!'"

• 2 months later...
check out www.jaxeats.com

They have Pastiche down as one of the best in town. Many people I know like Crush a lot, but I have also heard they can be tyrants to staff and some customers....  Makes me not inclined to support them.

afn,

Have you been to Crush? I'm a frequent diner there and had never the tyrant reference before. Just curious if you may have been the recipient of misinformation. Regardless, I'm a huge fan! Crush is by far the best restaurant in Jacksonville in my humble opinion. If you haven't ventured in, I recommend you do and form an opinion based on your dining experience, not local gossip. I don't mean to argue, its just that I think they have such a great concept, menu, atmosphere, etc. so I can be a bit defensive of my neighborhood favorites. By the way, Pastiche is a great restaurant!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd add the Brick to that list (Avondale) as well as The Aqua Grill (Ponte Vedra). Pastiche and Crush are still on my list to visit. The Bonefish Grill in Mandarin I would not recommend at all. For sushi, my favorite is Yoshi's Japanese in Baymeadows - traditional sushi, real crab, and a tatami room. For fun, Tijuana Flats in Baymeadows right around the corner from Yoshi's. Good blackened chicken burritos, fresh salsa, and a wall of hot sauce.

I'd add the Brick to that list (Avondale) as well as The Aqua Grill (Ponte Vedra). Pastiche and Crush are still on my list to visit. The Bonefish Grill in Mandarin I would not recommend at all. For sushi, my favorite is Yoshi's Japanese in Baymeadows - traditional sushi, real crab, and a tatami room. For fun, Tijuana Flats in Baymeadows right around the corner from Yoshi's. Good blackened chicken burritos, fresh salsa, and a wall of hot sauce.

Welcome, Musable! Thanks for your input, and hope to see more of your contribution to what's good in JAX. (I'm assuming from your post that you're in the area, or visit often... :smile: )

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I can't second the Aqua Grill. It is ok for a plain grilled fish if you eat outside on a nice night (the patio is pleasant) and have a 2 for 1 coupon. In our experience - any fish that isn't plain grilled is "gloppy". I wish it was better - because it's a 2 minute drive from where I live and I like fish. The fish special at the TPC (lunch only) is almost always about 100 times better.

In the last couple of weeks - we've tried 2 relatively new places at the Beaches - Eleven South and Mundo Grill. Eleven South is very polished - CIA chef - spent lots of $$$ (for Jax Beach) on decorating. Worth a try. Wish the lunch menu wasn't so limited - and a bunch of our dinner dishes were very oversalted. Still - for Jax Beach - it's a welcome addition. Mundo Grill also showed promise. Would have been nice if they took part of the huge space for an outside dining area. Also - the lunch menu was a bit pricey for Jax Beach (and a little lacking in terms of the math - the ravioli of the day was $8 for 3 in an appetizer portion and $16 for 5 in a dinner portion - duh). We were told that there will be a new lunch menu very soon - and we're looking forward to trying it.

Yesterday we went fishing - and - dressed in fishing clothes - we tried one of the old beach shack places - Beachside Seafood. Looked so tumbledown we thought it had to be good - but it was - frankly - disgusting. If you're going to have an open kitchen - don't have serve me the bits and pieces of fries that were sitting in the fryer in below temperature oil when I placed my order 15 minutes ago. I contrasted this with the fryers at Ted's (the place that serves bison at the St. Johns Center). High tech state of the art. Everything that goes into them comes out perfect. Robyn