• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

North of Puerto Vallarta

olivina

My family and I will be one hour north of Puerto Vallarta in February. I was wondering if anyone knows of good restaurants, recommendations, advise and suggestions about what to eat and where to eat. We have never been to Mexico but love Mexican food, we will have a car so we can travel about.

May I suggest a visit to Sayulita, 30 minutes north of P.V. There is a lovely place to stay called Los Delfines overlooking the beach in yes, a charming fishing village. There are two restos there, Restaurant El Costeno and Don Pedros. Fresh fish cannot be beat.

Also, Sundays on this coast, offer the specialty, Birria - don't miss it, we did and are very sorry.

Have a wonderful vacation,

Shelora

I found a great message board on everything related to Puerto vallarta HERE many years ago. While it is not specifically food related, I have found over the years that the people who post there are incredibly helpful. I've been a member for a number of years. You can get all your questions, including restaurant related, answered there. good luck

Derek

Thanks, winegeek. Looks like a wonderful resource.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Depends on what you mean by "good" restaurants.

If you are mobile, go north on the road out of town, past Bucerias, and take a left on the road to the Punta de Mita. about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way to the Punta your will notice a small, Pepto-Bismol pink cinder block restaurant with a palm thatch roof - Fonda las Amapas. If you are loaded for bear and indigenous fare, then by all means go there to eat. You want the salpicon de venado, the medaillones de platano, the armadillo en adobo, and for sure the iguana alcaparrada. A woman and her sister in law cook "whatever crawls out of the jungle that morning: and it is very, very good. It is also a magic doorway into the very traditional foods of that region of Mexico Also the jabali (javelina - a wild cousin of the pig - is excellent. I am not kidding about this. It was an total revelation to me. Then you can go to the end of the Punta de Mita and sample pedestrian fare - that is, domesticated, and tame, but very well preapred, at the Four Seasons resort at the tip of the Punta.

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

Depends on what you mean by "good" restaurants. 

You want the salpicon de venado, the medaillones de platano, the armadillo en adobo, and for sure the iguana alcaparrada.  A woman and her sister in law cook "whatever crawls out of the jungle that morning: and it is very, very good.  It is also a magic doorway into the very traditional foods of that region of Mexico  Also the jabali (javelina - a wild cousin of the pig - is excellent.  I am not kidding about this.  It was an total revelation to me.  Then you can go to the end of the Punta de Mita and sample pedestrian fare - that is, domesticated, and tame, but very well preapred, at the Four Seasons resort at the tip of the Punta.

Theabroma

Theabroma,

That is the coolest recommendation I will ever get! Although he jabali and plantanos are about as adventuresome as I can go, I'm sure the kids will be tempted by the iguana.

Although he jabali and plantanos are about as adventuresome as I can go, I'm sure the kids will be tempted by the iguana.

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

And it is a most pleasant little restaurant set in a grove of Amapa trees, just across the road from the beach.  That road is probably now a highway, smooth as silk, so no one on their way to do Mexico at the 4 Seasons gets overly homogenized en route.

I drove that road several times about ten years ago, and it wasn't bad then.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 1 month later...

These two women are the nicest people imaginable. And it is a most pleasant little restaurant set in a grove of Amapa trees, just across the road from the beach. That road is probably now a highway, smooth as silk, so no one on their way to do Mexico at the 4 Seasons gets overly homogenized en route.

Theabroma