• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants in Newport/Nye Beach? [OR]

We had a great breakfast at the Whale's Tail in Newport on the old bayfront.

There's another place on the west end of the bayfront who's menu looked great, but we had reservations up at the Bay House in Lincoln City.

Have fun and Happy Birthday!

Don't miss the Rogue Brewery on the south side of the river in Newport. Tons of their beers on tap with the usual sampler-type trays available, good food, including some simple seafood preparations like oyster shooters and fried fish, and a cool pub room inside the main brewery. They also have a gift shop composed almost entirely of bottled beer, some of which is seasonal and cheap. Some you just can't find anywhere else.

As you head south over the bridge it's kind of tricky. I think you have to take a left across traffic right after the bridge, then find your way through an industrial area, but it's not that hard.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

There is a right lane exit now that loops under the bridge, much safer. Rogue also has a pub on the bayfront, but the big brewery is more fun.

The Oregon Aquarium is also a fun place to visit, but I probably wouldn't eat there unless I brought my own snack.

The Nye Beach area has a variety of places that i noticed on my last trip. I haven't tried most of them, but I will at some point. If you find the Sylvia Beach Hotel, there are several restaurants in the surrounding area that look good according to what you desire. The whole area around Sylvia beach is worth poking around in. That neighborhood used to be an Italian neighborhood and there is a good Italian bakery, several upscale restaurants, a teahouse, several seafood places, and others if my memory serves me corectly. I have heard that dinner at the Sylvia beach hotel is a nice experience.

When I was at Nye Beach last summer, I met some nice locals on the beach who told us about a fundraiser for a restaurant located across form the Italian bakery. It turns out that this very popular place served food from a trailer... and was the hangout for a lot of local artists, kids, and an eclectic group of other folks. The restaurant had been ordered by the city to build an indoor kitchen and could not afford to do so. The locals loved this place so much they were holding a benefit to help raise money to build the kitchen! We went that night and there was music, good food, donated art for auction from the artists who frequented this place. What a great neighborhood! Ihope you go and find that they have built their kitchen.

Have fun and happy birthday. :rolleyes: