• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Non-exported Malbecs

WestOrangeFrank

It's about a year since I was last in BA/Argentina. We took back as many bottles of non-exported wine that the government allowed. Unfortunately, our supply is dwindling. We like the Malbecs and Mendoza region wines available to us in the USA, but maybe it's because we can't have them that we want the others more.

Does anyone know how a New Yorker can get his hands on a few cases of Rutini or even Estiba Reserve Catena Zapata? The Rutini Malbec ranked on Wine Enthusiasts' 100 best wines of 2000. I have no luck from my end finding these smooth rounded Malbecs. I've tried all the eG recommended sources on the USA side, but have been striking out.

What are some of your favorite Argentine/Chilean wines? Do you know if they are exported to the states?

The trip was so good I'm contemplating another culinary exploration of BA and her wines. We have direct flights available from NYC to EZE.

edited to add more detail.

Edited by WestOrangeFrank (log)

Does anyone know how a New Yorker can get his hands on a few cases of Rutini or even Estiba Reserve Catena Zapata?  The Rutini Malbec ranked on Wine Enthusiasts' 100 best wines of 2000.  I have no luck from my end finding these smooth rounded Malbecs.  I've tried all the eG recommended sources on the USA side, but have been striking out.

What are some of your favorite Argentine/Chilean wines?  Do you know if they are exported to the states?

Frank,

not sure about US import regulations, but you can arrange with any of the good wine shops in Buenos Aires for them to send you a case. I asked several if they would do this on request (I was living in NY then) and they had no problem with it.

Let me know if you want a few names/addresses of stores.

some favorite argies:

Ruca Malen Grand Cru 1999/2001 (not sure about the year)

Alto Las Hormigas Malbec 2002

Silly.

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

Go to www.winesearcher.com. Search for Rutini, Catena Zapata, and Luigi Bosca. You will find plenty of US sources. Of those three, I've only had Luigi Bosca Cabernet Sauvignon. I found it more enjoyable than most Argentine wines I've had.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Go to www.winesearcher.com.  Search for Rutini, Catena Zapata, and Luigi Bosca.  You will find plenty of US sources.  Of those three, I've only had Luigi Bosca Cabernet Sauvignon.  I found it more enjoyable than most Argentine wines I've had.

winesearcher finds the Felipe Rutini, I can't figure out if it's the same as the Rutini I've grown to love. A picture of the Felipe Rutini and Rutini bottles can be found here:

http://www.bodegalarural.com.ar/familiarutini.htm

Let me know if you want a few names/addresses of stores.

Contacting the BA wine stores seems to be the best bet, thanks for the tip. Do you have a recommendation Silly?

Contacting the BA wine stores seems to be the best bet, thanks for the tip.  Do you have a recommendation Silly?

I know Rutini has a few differences between their export labels and the local Argie ones. They even have a wine for the int'l market called Trumpeter or similar (can't remember exactly, but it was available while I was living in NY). My advise for the ones you've found is if they are not too expensive, buy a couple and try them, they are probably the same ones.

Also keep in mind that Bodega La Rural (makers of Rutini) have two labels locally with similar names, "Rutini" being the middle priced one and "Felipe Rutini" being the high-end one.

As for BA shops, my favorite one is Terroir, owned by a former stockbroker and wine lover (need to find his card). They have an excellent selection and the sommelier is fairly knowledgeable.

There's another good one called Epicureos, good selection but staff is so-so. Good prices as I recall.

Another option Winery, but since its a chain of several stores the whole thing might be a bit less personal.

I'll be down there in March, so if you haven't made any progress let me know and I'll try to give you a hand.

regards,

Silly.

edited to add more info.

Edited by Silly Disciple (log)

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

I'll be down there in March, so if you haven't made any progress let me know and I'll try to give you a hand.

In your travels - if you find us a name and number of someone who speaks decent english at a store selling the middle of the road Rutini Malbec (~$17), and/or the Estiba Reservada Catena Zapata 2000 or 1999 (~$100) and/or Luigi Bosca (~$6) - please post or PM!

In the meantime, I'll check out the Felipe Rutini.

It's amazing how many Malbecs/Mendoza region wines score in the wine spectator 87-92 range for really good prices (10-25).

I'll also check the recommended links, but my Castellano is terrible.

I've heard the non-exported Rutini is a good price because it doesn't go through the export, tax, and middleman charges. And the fact that so many portenos drink it, they don't need to export it.

Thanks so much for the wine info and enjoy your travels! Please post on any restaurants you enjoy.

• 5 months later...

The issue of exported vs. non exported labels in Argentine wine is a long and complex story. Policies vary from bodega to bodega, and still today there is no one trend. Many limited edition gems never make it to the export markets, mainly because quantities produced are so limited. Then again, Argentina is not only Malbec. One wine that is already available in some regional US markets that I recommend is the Benegas Lynch Meritage. Rumour has it that WS and R. Parker will be rating it in the next couple of weeks, and the news may be quite interesting....

Cheers

Alejandro

Visit Argentina and try wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes !!!

www.terroir.com.ar