• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cream of Coconut

yellowmnm81

coconut icecream!!!

you just mix this stuff 1:1 with whole milk (or rice dream if you have dairy intolerant friends visiting) and a Tbsp of rum, and throw it in the ice-cream maker :wub:

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

make a tropical carrot cake. I totally screwed this recipe up with substitutions and f ups, and it still came out ok try this:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/107949

I was thinking about making this, did you have any of the issues with the cake being over-moist like the reviews in the recipe?

No issues. It's like it should be as far as moistness, it is a carrot cake..I've never had a dry one! I suspect that the epicurious chefs who had problems with it didn't know what to expect or their understood version of carrot cake was of another type. This is a pretty heavy southern/tropical typically rich, totally decadant cake and really good if that's what you're wanting. I omitted the coconut flavoring and added lemon juice to the frosting. make sure the frosting sets up well before you ice it, even to the point of making the icing the day before refrigerating overnight and whipping it to spreadability. Do use the parchment. It has 'only' one cup of oil..this is lite considering most large carrot cakes have another half cup or so. I forgot to drain the pineapple so mine was REALLY moist. I also used the lowfat creamcheese with no discernable effect. make way in your fridge and it'll keep forever! do make it before it get hot though, the icing doesn't like it hot. Don't forget the ginger, it's what I love about this cake.

Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes... :smile:

make a tropical carrot cake. I totally screwed this recipe up with substitutions and f ups, and it still came out ok try this:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/107949

I was thinking about making this, did you have any of the issues with the cake being over-moist like the reviews in the recipe?

No issues. It's like it should be as far as moistness, it is a carrot cake..I've never had a dry one! I suspect that the epicurious chefs who had problems with it didn't know what to expect or their understood version of carrot cake was of another type. This is a pretty heavy southern/tropical typically rich, totally decadant cake and really good if that's what you're wanting. I omitted the coconut flavoring and added lemon juice to the frosting. make sure the frosting sets up well before you ice it, even to the point of making the icing the day before refrigerating overnight and whipping it to spreadability. Do use the parchment. It has 'only' one cup of oil..this is lite considering most large carrot cakes have another half cup or so. I forgot to drain the pineapple so mine was REALLY moist. I also used the lowfat creamcheese with no discernable effect. make way in your fridge and it'll keep forever! do make it before it get hot though, the icing doesn't like it hot. Don't forget the ginger, it's what I love about this cake.

Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes... :smile:

You're welcome, let me know how you like it...maybe not draining the pineapple was a good thing, but I get really lucky with desserts. Could have been low humidity (down here, I doubt it).