• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storage

jsolomon

I use polycarbonate gastronorm size tubs, 1/9 and 1/6 sizes.  Almost impossible to break, takes boiling or oily liquids without melting or staining (and minimal taste transfer), dishwasherable, microwavable, freezable, easy to clean, cheap.  Get them from big restaurant supply places.  Can be hard to find snap-on lids.

What I'm talking about (not recommending this as a source one way or the other, just using it for photo): http://www.restaurantequipment.com/CAMBROPANS.html

Careful with the microwaving. Microwaving in plastic leaches estogen-mimicing hormones into our food. Not a positive. I still store everything in plastic, but transfer to ceramic or glass prior to microwaving.

Having said this, there is another group of chemicals, called phthalates that are sometimes added to plastics to make them flexible and less brittle. Phthalates are environmental contaminants that can exhibit hormone-like behavior by acting as endocrine disruptors in humans and animals. If you heat up plastics, you could increase the leaching of phthalates from the containers into water and food.

From a Johns Hopkins researcher

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Careful with the microwaving. Microwaving in plastic leaches estogen-mimicing hormones into our food. Not a positive. I still store everything in plastic, but transfer to ceramic or glass prior to microwaving.

Most of the girls that I date would consider this a reason for me to microwave things in plastic. I tend toward testosterone-induced stupidity.

The main problem that I have with the "disposable" containers is that they simply don't seal tightly enough to be successfully transported on my bicycle--my main commuter vehicle. I have all sorts of greases, juices, and sauces that have basted the inside of my panniers. What I'd really love is something along the line of a cake transporter, or similar. Something with an additional strap to keep the lid secure. I'll probably end up rigging something with glue and bungees, but I'm holding out hope.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

The main problem that I have with the "disposable" containers is that they simply don't seal tightly enough to be successfully transported on my bicycle--my main commuter vehicle.  I have all sorts of greases, juices, and sauces that have basted the inside of my panniers.  What I'd really love is something along the line of a cake transporter, or similar.  Something with an additional strap to keep the lid secure.  I'll probably end up rigging something with glue and bungees, but I'm holding out hope.

Check out the deli containers at your restaurant supply. The ones that I get seal really tightly. You can drop kick the darn things and they don't leak.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

It won't help you with the bicycle transport, but I do encourage you to invest in a case of pint-sized canning jars, rings, and lids. They take heat and cold well so no need to cool a sauce before loading the jar. No moisture or odor transfer. Tops can be sealed properly to allow you to shake contents or even store them on their sides. No staining. Dishwasher safe. And on and on.

I have countless pint and quart-sized jars and use them routinely when they aren't in service for canned tomatoes.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

To that end, I have a microwave-safe plastic plate cover. It doesn't touch the food, lets steam out, and keeps it from drying out. Please tell me that's OK? :sad:

I have a huge assortment of Tupperware, bought before I knew about Cambro tubs, which I also now have. The Tupperware pantry holds everything from coffee beans to baking soda, all neatly stacked and labeled. Cereal doesn't stale, bugs, if there are any, are contained, and I can see how much of anything I have at a particular time.

It's my particular system, and it works for me and my anal-retentive, perpetually organized ways. :smile:

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

• 2 weeks later...
All right, has anyone else fessed up to this yet? I save deli containers, cheese containers, jam jars, etc., scour 'em all out and give them another life. I can't help it! It's genetic! My mom must have a thousand of those little deli containers!  :biggrin:

You mean there are people who don't save them?

I have collections of quart and pint plastic containers and lots of glass jars. I even save yogurt cups & covers because they're great for oil disposal.

Even the Cook's Illustrated team recommends yougurt containers.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts