• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Apple Pie, An American Story

bandregg

I was reading John T. Edge's "Apple Pie, An American Story" last night and thoroughly enjoying it when I came across a mention about a certain Lawyer from Raleigh who doesn't believe that Karen Barker walks on water for her pies and crumbles. Is that you Varmint?

The book is a delicious read and in addition to Karen there is a good mention about Phoebe Lawless (also of Magnolia Grill). If you haven't tried Phoebe's delicious Phoebecakes you should definitely seek them out. I'm going to drag my book over to the restaurant one of these days and get some autographs.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

That's interesting. I did indeed speak with John T. about Karen Barker shortly before he spent a day baking with her, but what I told him was how I liked what she did over there, that she was able to take fairly simple concepts and elevate them. I DID mention that one person I know considers Karen to be more of a "baker" than a pastry chef and that her work is nothing to get excited about. Perhaps he attributed that to me, which would be unfortunate, as I'm elated to eat anything that Karen or Phoebe Lawless put on a plate.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Such a great restaurant, and both Ben and Karen are great people. I did a short stage there while trying to figure out what I was going to do with my life, and they offered to let me stay in their own house w/ my mother, whom accompanied me. Totally down to earth, totally awesome people who are not too big for their britches, it was one of the funnest stages that I have done, and their staff rocked the house too. I made the comment to Ben, "Everywhere I turn, there is some article or something about you guys (Karen and the rest of the Magnolia Grill). I was reading a book just the other day, and after an introduction about how great Julia Child is (pre-mortum.... :sad: ), you were the first chefs to be praised in the book!! (Magic in the Kitchen by Jan Bartelsman)" Ben was cool enough to reply, "That is becuase the book goes in alphabetical order according to the last name of all of the chefs..." :huh:

Best chefs that I have met that are that cool... so much so that I can't wait to get back to Durham, just to say Hi.....

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

Best chefs that I have met that are that cool... so much so that I can't wait to get back to Durham, just to say Hi.....

and I can't wait to get to Durham period, Tony! I think that the food in that area is something I need to check out .. I have heard so much about it ... and read their online papers for the SE Digest.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

It's Raleigh, not Durham, but Varmint's hosting his fabulous pig pickin' Labor Day weekend 2005. That might be the excuse you need.

Varmint's Pig Pickin' Part Deux

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

That's interesting.  I did indeed speak with John T. about Karen Barker shortly before he spent a day baking with her, but what I told him was how I liked what she did over there, that she was able to take fairly simple concepts and elevate them.  I DID mention that one person I know considers Karen to be more of a "baker" than a pastry chef and that her work is nothing to get excited about.  Perhaps he attributed that to me, which would be unfortunate, as I'm elated to eat anything that Karen or Phoebe Lawless put on a plate.

The exact quote from page 130 is, "I did not fall prey to the rarefied attitude that prevented my friend the North Carolina attorney from recognizing the genius of Karen Barker, ..." I was just guessing that could be you, or at least attributed to you. It might not be at all.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."