• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bundt Pan Inventor Dies

srhcb

SB (has a good Walnut Pound Cake recipe for the Bundt Pan)

Can ya share that recipe? I've been craving a good Walnut Pond Cake and the bundt pan is waiting on the counter! :smile:

I think the recipe was in, (get ready for this one), "Aunt Bee's Mayberry Cook Book"! I'll check tonite.

SB

Today's LA Times obit for Mr. Dalquist can be filed under better-late-than-never, as eGullet, specifically this very discussion, gets a nice mention at the end.

Bad form, however, for the writer to neglect to provide attribution for ChefPeon's poem when she quoted it, and others' photos when she mentioned them..

Here's the link. Free reg is req'd after today's date, I think.

Of course the Hadassah ladies' pan was a classic kugelhopf! (I learned from the story). And the part about donating production seconds to Hadassah over the years -- nice.

And, Jason, your question about the Bundt name is answered, too.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

SB (has a good Walnut Pound Cake recipe for the Bundt Pan)

Can ya share that recipe? I've been craving a good Walnut Pond Cake and the bundt pan is waiting on the counter! :smile:

I think the recipe was in, (get ready for this one), "Aunt Bee's Mayberry Cook Book"! I'll check tonite.

SB

Here it is:

Harriet's Carmel Walnut Pound Cake

It's one of those recipes that doesn't quite look right, if you know what I mean. I recall it took considerably longer than 1 hr to bake, (more like 1 hr 45 min), but it tasted great.

1 Cup Butter

1/4 Cup Shotening

1 1 lb Boc Brown Sugar

1 Cup Sugar

5 Eggs

3 Cups Cake Flour

1/2 tsp Salt

1/2 tsp Baking Powder

1 Tbl Vanilla

1 Cup Milk

1 Cup Walnuts finely chopped (org recipe used Black Walnuts, if you have some)

Grease & Flour a 10" Bundt Pan (org recipe was for a 10" Tube Pan)

Preheat Oven to 325

Cream Butter and Shortening

Add Sugars and beat well

Add Eggs one at a time, beating well

Sift together Cake Flour/Salt/Baking Powder

Add Vanilla to Milk

Alternately Add Flour and Milk Mixtures to Butter/Sugar/Egg Mixture, mix well

Fold in Nuts

Pour into prepared Pan and bake 1 hr or until it tests done (see note above)

Any other fab Bundt ideas while I'm on a roll?

I own a couple books on the topic that are pretty interesting: "100 New Bundt Ideas" published by Pillsbury in 1977 and "Pillsbury's Best Bundt Recipes" published in 1974. I purchased both at flea markets........you might find them on ebay. I also have a bundt cake file (clippings from various sources), but it's currently at work and I'm not. I recall seeing a book on bundt cakes at William Sonoma stores lately with recipes I'm familar with.

This bundt recipe has always been a favorite with the men in my life:

Kentucky Butter Cake, from Pillsbury.

1 c. butter

2 c. sugar

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. soda

2 tsp. vanilla

4 eggs

3 c. ap flour

Butter Sauce.

3/4 c. sugar

1/3 c. butter

3 tbsp. h20

1 to 2 tsp. vanilla or rum

Bake at 325F. You mix the cake just like any butter cake. Bake, aprox. 1 hour. For the butter sauce you heat all the ingredients together adding the vanilla or rum after the heat is turned off. Prick your still hot bundt cake (in the pan) all over with a long skewer and pour most of the sauce over the cake. Cool upright in the pan then unmold and pour remaining butter sauce over the top of the cake too.

This cake likes to stick in the pan, so don't let it completely cool before unmolding.

I own a couple books on the topic that are pretty interesting:  "100 New Bundt Ideas" published by Pillsbury in 1977 and "Pillsbury's Best Bundt Recipes" published in 1974.

I think the second one is subtitled "Turning a Bundt into a Home Run."

(sorry)

Rocks.