• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: A few simple wines

jrufusj

2002 Hugel Gentil - France, Alsace (1/3/2005)

With a casual dinner of slightly spicy tacos, with family that are occasional, non-serious wine drinkers. I am predisposed to likethis, as it is one of my house quaffers and good QPR. This is the first bottle out of the latest case I've bought, so it gets a note.

Soft, light yellow/green, but bright and clear. Floral and grapey nose, clearly showing gewurz and muscat. There is a slightly metallic/mineral edge to the nose that may be riesling (or may be my imagination). Otherwise, simple but nicely persistent nose. Good streak of acidity on palate amidst simple peach and apricot fruit. Not exactly taut and not complicated, but a good foil to a simple spicy meal.

1990 Villa de Vetrice Chianti Rufina Riserva - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Rufina (1/3/2005)

Slight orange tint joining the red, but not looking fully mature. Still bright. Good mature nose of earth, leather, cherry fruit, a little herb. First impression on palate is a nice dose of Rufina acidity. Would be bothersome in some wines, but that's what we're looking for from this one. Acid comes into balance with a little chocolate, more cherry, some tart plum. Tannins are lurking in the background, but the acid is doing the bulk of the structure job. I don't see much more development in this one, but it should hold fine for a good while if stored well. I'm in no hurry, but will enjoy drinking this over the next few years with simple grilled meat and substantial, but acidic, pasta dishes.

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.