• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grand Sichuan International

Felonius

i didn't think the kung pao chicken was all that spicy.

I probably wouldn't think so either. And I think that something that was requested as "not too spicy" definitely wouldn't taste very spicy to either of us. But it sounds to me like BDR has different standards of spiciness than we do.

Michael aka "Pan"

But it sounds to me like BDR has different standards of spiciness than we do.

yeah, you're probably right, although BDR suggests that he/she usually enjoys spicy dishes. but as far as kung pao chicken that i've had, it wasn't particularly spicy.

Last time I was there I requested the "freshly killed" kung pao chicken "extra spicy" and it came out just right.

Since I like to start with the spicy beef tendon, and now that Fat Guy has turned me on to the pickled cabbage with red oil, it always seems like the meal progresses from most spicy to least spicy. By the time I've had the cabbage with red oil -- and it's good to let them know they don't have to be shy with the red oil -- everything else seems not so spicy. The "extra spicy" kung pao chicken was nicely hot, but didn't seem overly so to my taste.

--

Last time I was there I requested the "freshly killed" kung pao chicken "extra spicy" and it came out just right.

Since I like to start with the spicy beef tendon, and now that Fat Guy has turned me on to the pickled cabbage with red oil, it always seems like the meal progresses from most spicy to least spicy.  By the time I've had the cabbage with red oil -- and it's good to let them know they don't have to be shy with the red oil -- everything else seems not so spicy.  The "extra spicy" kung pao chicken was nicely hot, but didn't seem overly so to my taste.

One small caveat here, y'all. What Sam considers "just right" is more than likely to be so spicy it sends the rest of the civilized world into paroxysms of agony. Just so you know. :biggrin:

The scary part is that I'm not really kidding. His tolerance for spicy food is rather legendary. :blink:

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

The scary part is that I'm not really kidding.  His tolerance for spicy food is rather legendary.  :blink:

Uhm... that's among our usual dinner companions. I have no doubt that =Mark and many other eGulleters could completely kick my ass in that respect.

--

I have no doubt that =Mark and many other eGulleters could completely kick my ass in that respect.

Or in any other respect. :raz:

Now, now, Dean... We New Yorkers don't resort to vulgar fisticuffs like the drunken shoeless yokels ya got down there. Nosir, that's what contract killers are for.

bek173.gif

--

I love stuff like the beef tendon or tripe in hot oil, but the pickled cabbage in hot oil is way too salty and too hot-oily for me.

Admin: 2004 Discussion of Grand Sichuan International may be found here.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 1 month later...

I went to the Chelsea branch of Grand Sichuan today and ordered the second of the Dishes for a Prodigal Daughter - a cold vegetable dish I love - and Dan-Dan Noodles. The noodles were the same as always, but the cold dish was different. I spoke with the waitress about it. I said that it usually has not only celery but also carrots in it. Actually, the green hot peppers are also usually sliced smaller, there are fewer of them by comparison to the celery and carrots, and there is less liquid, with the sauce being a perfect combination of soy sauce, hot oil, vinegar, a touch of something sweet (rice wine or/and sugar), etc. Today, it was not great but merely OK, and I left most of the hot peppers (I usually eat them all little by little, along with the celery and carrots). The waitress told me that their regular chef was off and a new chef was substituting. She also told me before I left that she had spoken with the chef about my mild but substantive complaint. She explained that the regular chef is usually off Tuesdays, though that's of course subject to change.

Michael aka "Pan"