• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grand Sichuan International

Felonius

I stand corrected.

Its just that I was walking past GSE when I noticed it (I mean really noticed it) for the very first time and made the connection about a "Grand Sichuan" on the east side. Didn't know about GSNY until today.

As for GSI, did you try the pork belly with chestnuts, and the pumpkin with red pepper sauce? Those are two of my favorites. Not sure what the pumpkin dish's name really is, but that's what I remember it as.

Today the pain has died a lot from yesterday's aftermath, but its taking a little getting used to with putty dressing on the right side of my mouth. Ahh....well that's a good reason to make congee tonight for dinner.

Mmmm....congee.

SA

• 4 weeks later...

well, with all this talk, i ended up at grand sichuan today. but it was the one on canal street. although i tried, i couldn't get the guy to understand the whole "fresh chicken" request, probably because this branch doesn't offer it. it was an interesting exchange, however.

had the dan dan noodle (noodle with chili oil and bits of "stuff"). hot stuff. really good though. i thought the noodle was a bit overdone, but perhaps that's by design.

the kung boa chicken was pretty good. a study in textures.

the tea smoked duck was a standout dish. i just love long-time cooked duck. crispy skin. no chewy fat. served with a bowl of hoisen type sauce that went untouched out of lack of need.

4 sodas and the total was about 30 bucks. i mean, the dan dan noodle was something silly like 2.55. quite a deal. i gotta get me up to the one on 9th ave for that fresh chicken though, g-damnit. :blink:

Of the dishes not mentioned so far, I think the eggplant with green peppers merits mention. It's the best preparation of eggplant (a simple saute in a dark sauce) that I've ever had, regardless of cusine.

About the tea smoked duck: is there an, um, proper way to eat this? It was tough for me not to get a mouthful of small bones in every bite. Not that it wasn't worth the effort (it was like I imagine duck bacon would be - smoky, crispy, and a little salty), but I got the feeling I was doing something wrong.

The company I work for (in Florida) has an office in Englewood Cliffs, and I travel there about every other month. Without fail I make a beeline for Grand Sichuan at least once. The problem is the local place I used to like might as well serve ramen noodles now...

had the dan dan noodle (noodle with chili oil and bits of "stuff").  hot stuff.  really good though. i thought the noodle was a bit overdone, but perhaps that's by design.

I had the Dan Dan noodle once at 50th Street. Truthfully, I just didn't get this dish, but it may have been that the noodles were so over cooked (to my taste) that nothing would have made them palatable to me. Has any one had them al dente?

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

About the tea smoked duck: is there an, um, proper way to eat this?  It was tough for me not to get a mouthful of small bones in every bite.  Not that it wasn't worth the effort (it was like I imagine duck bacon would be - smoky, crispy, and a little salty), but I got the feeling I was doing something wrong.

most pieces had a good amount of meat, which i tore off with my teeth using chopsticks. i then just picked the rest up with my paws. no one rolled their eyes, so i guess the "how to do things properly" police weren't out that day. ooooooo, and it was worth it! :smile:

bux, i definitely would have enjoyed this dish more had the noodles been less mushy. i thought maybe i was missing something. even cold noodle with seasame is a bit more enjoyable when the noodles aren't mushy.

...... I just didn't get this dish, but it may have been that the noodles were so over cooked (to my taste) that nothing would have made them palatable to me. Has any one had them al dente?

Dan Dan noodle are indeed overcooked - They are also supposed to be cold and unsalted. Its like twice-fried fries :wink:

anil

can we come to a consensus on where the locations are that have the "fresh chicken?"

obviously not grand sichuan in chinatown on canal.

obviously the one on 9th ave and 50th does (grand sichuan international?)

how about the other 2 (3)??? the one on the east side? are there now 2 on the east side?

i *need* to try that chicken.

The only safe and documented place that does superlative food is the 50th street location. Pretend the others dont exist.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Dan Dan noodle are indeed overcooked - They are also supposed to be cold and unsalted. Its like twice-fried fries  :wink:

Cold noodles I understand and love. Not day old spaghetti with tomato sauce, but many types of cold Asian noodles. Nothing is more refreshing than cold buckwheat noodles and dipping sauce in Japan in August. Unfortunately, the texture of the dan dan noodles was not one I enjoyed. Knowing that they are meant to be overdooked will probably save me from leaving them over again.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

......... Knowing that they are meant to be overdooked will probably save me from leaving them over again.

Someone whose judgement on these matter I trust, always has something

to accompany the dan dan noodles, which is treated as a appetiser.

anil

can i get a list of locations?

9th and 24 - grand sichuan international

9th and 50 - grand sichuan international (presumably related to the first)

125 canal - grand sichuan (not related)

1 or 2 more new ones?  bueller?

Can't help you there -- I've only been to the Hell's Kitchen one, and that only once (it was superb).

BUT: does it strike you -- or anyone -- that "Grand Sichuan" is the "Empire Szechuan" of the 00's? Remember how they started off with just one, then another, then a zillion that may or may not have been related? And each time there were more, it seemed the total quality remained the same, and just got spread thinner and thinner? I'm getting déja vu all over. :hmmm:

can i get a list of locations?

9th and 24 - grand sichuan international

9th and 50 - grand sichuan international (presumably related to the first)

125 canal - grand sichuan (not related)

1 or 2 more new ones?  bueller?

tommy, apparently this is a case of former partners splitting up, or something like that, and both proceeding with the same name. Just go to 50th street, okay? And don't listen to Wilfrid, just this once. Get the Kung Pao as hot as they will make it and just push aside the peppercorns.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

tommy, apparently this is a case of former partners splitting up, or something like that, and both proceeding with the same name.  Just go to 50th street, okay?  And don't listen to Wilfrid, just this once.  Get the Kung Pao as hot as they will make it and just push aside the peppercorns.

well, if there's one of even *reasonable* quality on the east side, it will be more convenient for me. this is why i'm asking.

There IS a Grand Sichuan East, and I've eaten there, and it wasn't BAD, but I'm not sure who owns it. It's along the West side of 2nd Avenue, 'rounds about 55th or 56th Street, but I don't recall any sign of Fresh chicken.

Edit to say - I can't find it listed in the local Yellow Pages directory at Yahoo!, so maybe its gone. I last ate there about eight months ago.

Edit again - nor in Citysearch.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

• 4 weeks later...