• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Cake w Pumpkin Mousse

legourmet

Heinz - wilkommen zur eGullet!  You're going to love it here.  As soon as you start posting your fantastic competitive recipes you're going to find a whole community of like-minded people here.  It's great to see you!

Abra -thank you for your kind words and the welcome. So I'll start with a Dessert which I offered in late November to some of our good friends. I took a class at Sissy Sonnleitner's in southern Austria(she is one of the best chefs in Austria) where this fantastic dessert was demonstrated.

Chocolate Cake with Pumpkin Mousse and Cinnamon-Semifreddo:

Chocolate Cake

200 g chocolate

200 g butter

250 g powdered sugar

5 eggs

1 tbs flour

gallery_23358_531_1104364712.jpg

ingredients

gallery_23358_531_1104364830.jpg

Melt chocolate and butter in a bowl and add sugar while stirring with a wooden spoon. (see result in the above picture) Let cool down until lukewarm. Fold in egg one at a time. At the end mix in the flour. All steps should be done with a wooden spoon

gallery_23358_531_1104364874.jpg

Fill chocolate mix into a tart form layered with baking paper. Bake in a preheated oven at 190 ° Celsius for approx 22 Minutes. The inner part of the cake should be in slight wet condition. Turn over immediately, remove baking paper and let cool down. Let rest for 1 day.

Pumpkin-Mousse:

250 g Pumpkin, peeled and seeded

20 g butter

2 tbs brown sugar

1/2 Mocca spoon grind cloves

1/2 Mocca spoon grind cilantro seeds

Vanilla sugar

1/2 ts freshly grated ginger

nutmeg

10 ml Irish Mist or Cognac

200 ml whipping cream

gallery_23358_531_1104364922.jpg

Cut pumpkin into cubes and spread butter onto an aluminum foil. Place cubed pumpkin onto the foil and sprinkle all ingredients except nutmeg, Irish Mist and whipping cream.

gallery_23358_531_1104364957.jpg

Tight up foil and bake pumpkin at 180 ° Celsius for 35 minutes. Pour Pumpkin and liquid into a pot and let evaporate the liquid on a hot plate at low heat until it's like a puree. Let cool down and strain through a sieve. Add Irish Mist and fold in whipped cream

Cinnamon-Semifreddo:

1 cinnamon rind

70 g brown sugar

150 ml water

5 tbs rum

50 g Ladyfingers

2 eggs

1 egg yolk

Vanilla sugar

1/2 ts cinnamon powder

200 ml whipping cream

gallery_23358_531_1104364990.jpg

Bring sugar and water to the boil. Add cinnamon rind and let cook at low heat for 1 hour until syrupy (see picture). Pour rum. Cut ladyfingers into small cubes and wet with half of the cinnamon-rum mixture.

gallery_23358_531_1104365029.jpg

Beat Eggs and egg yolk with the second half of the rum and cinnamon mix until foamy (see picture). Fold in wet cubed Ladyfingers. Add whipped cream thoroughly sprinkle cinnamon and pour into timbales. Let freeze for 3 to 4 hours

gallery_23358_531_1104365067.jpg

Cut cake into small edges, spread pumpkin mousse on it and serve with cinnamon semifreddo like shown in the picture

H.B. aka "Legourmet"

Could you post the recipe in cups and tablespoons? That is the only way I am able to make things. I have tried plugging the numbers straight into a conversion system, but things don't seem to turn out quite right. Thanks so much!

looks good, but would that be a pumpkin cream, doesnt a mousse need eggs?

Hi

You are right mousse needs beaten eggwhites.

The original recipe contains beaten eggwhites and gelatine, both of those I don't want to use and for me mousse means nothing but bubbled consistancy. Cream is more or less liquid IMHO.

I wish you a prosperous New Year.

Regards from Munich Germany Heinz

H.B. aka "Legourmet"

Could you post the recipe in cups and tablespoons? That is the only way I am able to make things. I have tried plugging the numbers straight into a conversion system, but things don't seem to turn out quite right. Thanks so much!

Hi

well, I've the same problems to convert immediately grams and milliliters into cups and tbs like you vice versa. I'll try to find out and post the recipe ingredients asap

I wish you a prosperous New Year

Regards from Munich Germany

Heinz

H.B. aka "Legourmet"

It has last a little longer to answer now here we are with the English/American measurements. Cups values are approximate. Because cup is a volume measure it may be wrong to use it with chokolate bars, pumpkin cubes and ladyfingers

Chocolate Cake

200 g chocolate (7,05 ounces/ 4/5 cup)

200 g butter (7,05 ounces/ 4/5 cup)

250 g powdered sugar (8,8 ounces/ 1 cup)

5 eggs

1 tbs flour

Pumpkin-Mousse:

250 g Pumpkin, peeled and seeded (8,8 ounces/ 1 cup)

20 g butter (0,705 ounces/ 1 tbs)

2 tbs brown sugar

1/2 Mocca spoon grind cloves

1/2 Mocca spoon grind cilantro seeds

Vanilla sugar

1/2 ts freshly grated ginger

nutmeg

10 ml Irish Mist or Cognac (0,35 ounces)

200 ml whipping cream (7,05 ounces/ 4/5 cup)

Cinnamon-Semifreddo:

1 cinnamon rind

70 g brown sugar (2,46 ounces/ 1/3 cup)

150 ml water (4,82 ounces/ 2/3 cup)

5 tbs rum

50 g Ladyfingers (1,6 ounces/ 1/5 cup)

2 eggs

1 egg yolk

Vanilla sugar

1/2 ts cinnamon powder

200 ml whipping cream (7,05 ounces/ 4/5 cup)

H.B. aka "Legourmet"