• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liqueur Brands

Rob Simmon

I'm interested in the group's opinion on preferred brands of "generic" liquers. Specifically white creme de cacao. Is white Godiva liquer an equivalent, and worth the extra money? I got Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails for Christmas, and need to widen my selection to make half the drinks.

Also, what about Creme de Noyaux? I've got a bottle of Hiram Walker, and in addition to being a scary red color, it doesn't really taste much more than sweet (I'm drinking a sample glass at the moment, just to make sure).

Thanks for the advice ...

White Godiva isn't the same thing as crème de cacao, afaik.

In general, I think the Marie Brizard crème liqueurs are very high quality, and would tend to turn to those first. My memories of Hiram Walker are not good, and I don't tend to buy that brand.

--

Hiram Walker is speed rack quality and Marie Brizard is closer to what one thinks of as top shelf, particularly when chosing those various fruit liquers that don't seem to have a readily available/recognizable top shelf choice (e.g. Cointreau, Framboise etc).

I'm very fond of their pear liquer, which is especially delicious when served over crushed ice.

Is the Marie Brizard Pear Liqueur their Poire William? Is it different from a pear eau de vie (i.e. sweet or dry)? And is their apricot liqueur the same thing as Apry?

Also, has anyone experimented with Manzana Verde? I'm interested in making a version of a sour apple "martini" and still live with myself. (My other ideas in this vein revolve around Apple Jack or Calvados) Are there any brands available in the US?