• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barnstormer Barbeque

bbq chef

... but you guys all rave about BBQ in NYC, but yet have not come to try my store out. I know that I am shamelessly promoting myself, but ask Jason Perlow and Fink what they thought about the butt that I brought to the picnic. I honestly feel that my Q is as good if not better than what you city guys have.

Barnstormer BBQ

Rt. 9W

Fort Montgomery NY

845 446 0912

... but you guys all rave about BBQ in NYC, but yet have not come to try my store out.  I know that I am shamelessly promoting myself, but ask Jason Perlow and Fink what they thought about the butt that I brought to the picnic.  I honestly feel that my Q is as good if not better than what you city guys have.

Hey, I remember that 'cue: It was damn good! If I still went to school in the Hudson Valley, I'd be there weekly. Here's an informative post on Chowhound about it.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Barnstormer Barbeque has been serving up the best Q in Orange County since 1998. We serve St. Louis spare ribs, bbq chicken, pulled pork, brisket, wings, grilled chicken sandwiches and burgers.

We are open 7 days a week. We are located off exit 17 of the NY State Thruway, straight to Rt. 17K, make a left, at the next light make aleft into the former Ames/future Target plaza.

Thanks, hope to see a few of you guys up here!

Barnstormer BBQ

Rt. 9W

Fort Montgomery NY

845 446 0912

We stopped by a few weeks after the Pig Roast...The BBQ pork was fantastic. I got a sampler which included some BBQ chicken, which was so-so (I think it is chickens fault, it just shouldnt be bbq'ed). We will stop in this week on our way home from Red Hook (two exits and 34 miles north)

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

We will stop in this week on our way home from Red Hook (two exits and 34 miles north)

Make sure you say hello. I'm off this Wednesday and Thursday, but the restaurant will be open.

Geoff

Barnstormer BBQ

Rt. 9W

Fort Montgomery NY

845 446 0912

Barnstormer Barbeque has been serving up the best Q in Orange County since 1998.  We serve St. Louis spare ribs[...]

...with a Kansas City-style sauce?

The Hudson Valley is lovely, and I haven't been up that way in quite some time, but the last time I visited, I did stay at a guesthouse in Newburgh, on a lovely residential street a few blocks uphill from the river and just a stone's throw from a public housing project.

I will have to file this for reference for the next time I'm in the area.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

We just finished our Q from Barnstormer BBQ. That is some tasty barbecue. Geoff showed off his smoker while I was there. It was filled with soft, smoky, almost gelatinous pork shoulder. He offered me a sample straight from the smoker, for a moment I believed there was a place called heaven. Silky pork love...

Sounds like the name of a rock band... :biggrin:

Yeah, Newburgh is a pain in the ass to get to if you live in NYC, but if you are driving on the Thruway, its literally 2 minutes off the road....2 minutes for some really tasty Q is well worth it. On the way home from skiing or Rhinebeck or anywhere, it's the place to be...

Mmmmm....silky pork love....

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Barnstormer Barbeque has been serving up the best Q in Orange County since 1998.  We serve St. Louis spare ribs[...]

...with a Kansas City-style sauce?

Yes. It is a slightly modified 3 time world champion sauce recipe that I "borrowed".

adegiulio, I'm glad that you enjoyed it. thats some description, silky pork love

Barnstormer BBQ

Rt. 9W

Fort Montgomery NY

845 446 0912

... but you guys all rave about BBQ in NYC, but yet have not come to try my store out. 

Rave? I think, as a whole, we've been hesitantly optimistic at best.

Always good to see another player. I won't say "a new player", since of course you aren't.

Shame on Rachel for not knowing where Newburgh is! I mean it's got a Hudson River bridge half-named after it! :laugh:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Talking about wood in the Dino thread, I found that the cheapest source for my hickory comes right from Home Depot. I buy a pallet at a time from them of the bags of wood. They are sold by New Braunfels. Previously I was paying a boatload of money to have the wood UPSed in, but now I let Home Depot pay for the shipping. I actually save about 50% over what I used to pay.

Barnstormer BBQ

Rt. 9W

Fort Montgomery NY

845 446 0912

I went with my son(13) and two of his football buddies(13 and 15) for lunch yesterday. I think we were the first people in the store, as Geoff and his wife? were in the kitchen and no one else was around. I introduced myself as an egulleteer from NJ with three hungary teenagers and asked them to bring us some food. Two orders of wings (super), a full rack of ribs ( done just the way I like them; juicy, not quite falling off the bone and very meaty) a chopprd brisket sandwich (not to my liking) and a carolina style chopped pork sandwich on a great bun. We also had two orders of fries, baked beans, rice and beans and coleslaw, all done perfect. All this food was inhaled by my son and his football freinds in about 20 minutes. They left me a few scraps. All in all superior BBQ. A nice trip and a great meal.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

So when can we expect a Barnstormer BBQ in NYC?

Not quite there yet. Even after 6+ years, we haven't been "discovered" yet. Besides, I don't think that I really want to go through the hassle of trying to open a Q joint in NYC.

Barnstormer BBQ

Rt. 9W

Fort Montgomery NY

845 446 0912

I went with my son(13) and two of his football buddies(13 and 15) for lunch yesterday. Two orders of wings (super), a full rack of ribs ( done just the way I like them; juicy, not quite falling off the bone and very meaty) a chopprd brisket sandwich (not to my liking) and a carolina style chopped pork sandwich on a great bun. We also had two orders of fries, baked beans, rice and beans and coleslaw, all done perfect. . All in all superior BBQ. A nice trip and a great meal.

Double 0, I'm glad that you enjoyed the food and thanks for the review. Although you may not have thought that the brisket was that great, we have built quite a following for the way that we do it over thae last 6 years.

It is not actually true bbq. It is an old recipe that my father used to make when I was a kid that is closer to braising than smoking.

I have smoked brisket in the past with much success, but being that we are a bbq joint in the Northeast, there isn't enough of a desire for the authentic style brisket. Besides, I have found that in order for the brisket to be really excellent, it needs to be kept hot and sliced to order. It would also have to be smoked on a daily basis, wich in my case would be highly impractical as well as cost prohibitive. Of course if demand was there and I knew that there would be a line at my front door every morning, I would do it everey day.

As an aside, if any body wants, I will smoke them a whole brisket. Just call me at least 1 week in advance so we can set a time to pick it up. I will also price it according to market.

Geoff

Barnstormer BBQ

Rt. 9W

Fort Montgomery NY

845 446 0912

As we are speaking, I am smoking a brisket for you guys. If I can get the technology down, I will be posting some pics as it comes out and is sliced for you guys. That is if it is OK to take pics on one of these new fangled digital cameras. After all, it can't really be a true picture if I don't spend some time in the dark room developing the print myself. :raz: Oh well, technology marches on and replaces the old with the new.

Barnstormer BBQ

Rt. 9W

Fort Montgomery NY

845 446 0912

Kansas city style sauce is your typical tomato based sauce, think K.C. Masterpiece. Ketchup base and a lot of other seasononings.

St.Louis ribs refer to the bottom ribs with the chine bone trimmed off. They are a much larger and meatier rib than the baby a

back. Here is a linkMy Webpage All about ribs.

Barnstormer BBQ

Rt. 9W

Fort Montgomery NY

845 446 0912

• 1 month later...

Geoff just wanted you to know ...I am trying to map a motorcycle club ride from northern Passaic County NJ to Rhinebeck for the air show and wondered over to the Backroads USA magazine website ...the first ride in their archive is to your place...... so get ready for the big old tourer bikes on sundays this summer.....and in doing a dry run today we might stop by

tracey.....no bike today

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association