• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

little bar o' brown gold

Chris Amirault

I bought my partner one of these 99% Scharffen Berger babies at Sur Le Table last month. Having never had utterly unsweetened chocolate before, and having rarely the chance to cook with such great stuff, she immediately asked out loud what the heck to do with the thing that would do it justice.

Just the sort of question that belongs on eGullet! So I ask those of you with experience: how do you treat the 99% stuff? What adjustments do you make? Any particular recipes that benefit from such wonderment?

In advance, thanks!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

This might be a cop out answer, but get yourself a copy of Alice Medrich's Bittersweet. All the recipes in the book are for chocolate based savories and desserts. And what makes it unique is that she gives adjustments for the high-percentage chocolates.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I only use unsweetend in brownies and brownie cookies.  Try it in the Double Chocolate Chip Cookies, or Best Brownies, featured in "Baking with Julia".

Does that book, or any other, have a rough guide to equivalences? Can you substitute based solely on percentage?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Make a ganache based mostly with another quality chocolate and throw your little bit of special unsweetened chocolate into the mix. It will almost certainly affect the flavor of the ganache in a positive way. Then do what you will with a fine ganache... Ice something, or turn it into a flourless cake, or dip balls of it in enrobing chocolate and have truffles, etc. That is how I have treated the Cluizel 100% bars I've come across, and they really do wonders to a Ghirardelli chip based ganache.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

It's really good in 'upscale' brownies. I made mexican brownies (www.epicuirous.com) that have a hint of cinnamon in them and a ganache topping...so good. A quality chocolate makes a huge difference in the quality of the brownies...I've made these before w/Giaradelli (sp) and while they were great, the one's with the 99% unsweetened choc. were far superior.