• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Some interesting closeouts in DC

jparrott

Schneider's of Capitol Hill, a DC retailer that, among other things, specializes in interesting liquor close-outs, has acquired a couple of interesting lots for offer.

(Note: I have no connection w/Schneider's, other than that I have tasted through the offering and made my purchases).

First, some Armagnacs from Castarede, a second-tier producer, but still some nice stuff:

Armagnac XO: Bright, quite rancio, medium bodied and very pure. $20

Armagnac 1950: Very fruity compared to the others, but still with good earthy/sandalwood undertones. $60

Armagnac 1939: Stunning bridge of rancio and fruity styles, very complex and spicy and well worth the tariff. $70

Armagnac 1924: A bit closed, dark wood and prune but not particularly noteworthy. $80

Also, a couple of Irish Whiskies aged in Bourbon barrels.

Clontarf Single Malt: Nice for the style, with the grapefruit pithy barleyness and touch of sugar. Very nice at the price. $16

Clontarf Reserve: A bit muddled and oaky, the cask overshadowing the malt. But may appeal to bourbon lovers and oakier scotch lovers. Also $16, IIRC.

So I've now blown my liquor budget for awhile, but there's some good stuff here for the geeks out there.

(And if this belongs on the DC board, feel free to move.)

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.