• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate in Madrid

I'm looking for a shop in Madrid with really high-quality chocolate that is made in Spain. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Chocophiles have a home: it is called Cacao Sampaka. Here dark bars are infused with curry; cuppuccino slabs are swirled with ground coffee beans. There are chocolates flavored with anchovies; chocolate-tomato marmelada for breakfast; liquored-up bombones for a nightcap. The store's cafe serves astonishing cold chocolate milk with passion fruit and Aztec hot chocolate with 76% cacoa. ...locations are in Barcelona, Madrid, Valencia, and Girona.

From Saveur magazine Jan/Feb 2005

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

I'm looking for a shop in Madrid with really high-quality chocolate that is made in Spain. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Chocophiles have a home: it is called Cacao Sampaka.

Read further up in this thread, Willie. Some of us are not the greatest fans of Sampaka...

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

similar places in Barcelona?

Xocoa. Shop plus chocolate-intensive restaurant! Carrer d'en Bot, 4.

Just to avoid confusion, the Xocoa shop and restaurant aren't at d'en Bot anymore (the drug of choice on this street seems to be cannabis rather than cocoa now).

But there is a Xocoa shop with a cafe next door on C/Petritxol in the Barri Gotic, which also has a couple of great old granjas for chocolate and churros/magdalenas/ensaimadas... etc :raz:

Also, follow this street down to Plaza del Pi and there's a market in front of the church every other weekend where there's a stall selling artisanal chocolates made in the Catalan countryside by a South American cooperative (?!). The make is called Vall d'Or and they have rough-hewn bars containing eg, 100% cocoa, chewy pieces of orange, chili, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg, black pepper, as well as tequila truffles, chocolate covered cocoa nibs, and sticky brownies, jars of mole and an infusion of cocoa bean shells.