• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oysters

AzRaeL

[quote name=Tonyy13' date='Feb 2 2005, 05:14 AM I still can taste that beautiful Blue Point oyster, slathered w/ cocktail sauce (sometimes I utilize the oyster as a platform for my condiments, slander, I know... :hmmm:).

we used to get buckets of shucked oysters, and used to throw the "sea snot" on top at the new guys in teh kitchen.

The real slander is using cocktail sauce!

If the Blue Point was that good, why would you ruin it by covering it in what amounts to ketchup? And how could you even taste it?

I have never understood why people even use that stuff unless it's with something like boiled jumbo shrimp which lack anything close to resembling taste anyways.

I haven't served cocktail sauce with any oyster in over 2 years and my guests actually thank me for opening their eyes to the fact that this practice should be treated along the same lines as, i.e. wife-beating or child abuse.

"Sea-snot?" If you worked in the oyster places I have, even referring to the oyster in this way would get you beaten like a circus monkey or at the very least like a rented mule!

Are you actually sure that you like them? :biggrin:

Hello Oyster Guy,

I'm an almost brand new member of eGullet. I must say that I thoroughly enjoy these discussions. In particular, though, discussions about oysters really get me going! I love them. But I need some advice on them and who better to ask than "The Oyster Guy." Tony13 already answered the question as to why Florida oysters are Godawful. I had the nerve to not only order oysters on a business trip to Miami last year, but I had the nerve to do this in the month of MAY :blink:

Specifically, I would appreciate any guidance you can provide on oysters. The best ones to try and especially the ones that should be avoided at all costs. If I had had that bit of knowledge I wouldn' t have done anything so idiotic as order Florida oysters. There was a type of oyster I had eons ago at a bar in Washington, DC call Pine Island Oysters. Are they still around or have they :sad: been depleted? Any information or insight about this question and oysters in general would be appreciated.

P.S. -- Like Tony13, I too like a really good cocktail sauce with oysters. I can eat them in a variety of ways, but prefer them raw. Now, I'll bend over so you administer punishment for my oyster "sacrilege." :laugh:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Oysters,

Perfect in everyway...Happy to hear so many feel they are aweful. More for me...

Not to go off on a tangent but any thoughts on the best oyster festival? I means based on the type of oyster featured, how they are sold and cost. BTW, 3 dozen is my record at a mothers day brunch. Its small compare to other folks who've scarfed considerability more.

Soup

AzRael, I am just so proud that you persisted, and ultimately enjoyed yourself!! How cool is that? Now you can speak with a perceivable knowledge of where all your fellow oyster lovers were coming from!

Damn those are GREAT oyster prices!! I wish I could get away to partake of coldwater oysters...sigh :unsure:

Another high priority of my wish for very hard list is meeting Miz Katie and trying to cause a serious dent in her bar's oyster stocks...yep. Very much so. :smile:

AzRael, I am just so proud that you persisted, and ultimately enjoyed yourself!! How cool is that? Now you can speak with a perceivable knowledge of where all your fellow oyster lovers were coming from!

Damn those are GREAT oyster prices!! I wish I could get away to partake of coldwater oysters...sigh :unsure:

Another high priority of my wish for very hard list is meeting Miz Katie and trying to cause a serious dent in her bar's oyster stocks...yep. Very much so. :smile:

I'll look forward to it with eager anticipation. :smile:

Cocktails afterward at location yet to be decided. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Had some Canadian Pots from PEI, Martha's Vineyard and Wellfleets today. Man oh Man they were good

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren