• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining and Dancing in NJ

Rosie

OMG...I fall in to that age range. AM I SUPPOSED TO BE A GROWN-UP??? :shock::biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

The NJ Zagat has a listing of places that have dancing. Looking it over, Stony Hill Inn, in Hackensack, might be a good option. I've never been there.

For some reason, Zagat does not include The Manor, in West Orange, on that list although the restaurant is in the book. They have dining and dancing to live music on Friday and Saturday nights. Again, never been.

Acc. to the ad in my phone book, Old Orchard Manor, at the Old Orchard Country Club, in Eatontown, offers dinner and dancing. Not much info about it on their web site. Years and years ago, we used to go there occasionally for dinner, and the food was quite good. No idea what it's like now.

The Manor is certainly a legit choice, albeit low-key. I guess it depends on the personality of said grown-ups.

I've only been to the Stony Hill Inn once, and it was for a big cocktail party/event. VERY mature in decor, patronage and smell. OOF, did that place smell musty! Could be the patrons, of course, but I think it was also the curtains and the carpets... :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 2 weeks later...

"Blend" in Ridgewood offers dining and dancing. They opened this past summer and the entire place is devided into several "rooms" offering different themes and bars. They also have live music in one room I believe.

The food is ok. :blink: I have been several times (more for the bar and music scene) and have not been completely impressed with the food and service. I will go back again as it offers a unique "blend" of themes which is not typical for NJ. Great place to go with friendsfor a few drinks. Good "people watching" :cool:

owner - Flirt Sushi Lounge

www.flirtsushi.com

1-866-weflirt

Allendale, NJ

Thanks for the post Mr. Flirt and welcome to eGullet.

Thanks for the Welcome note.

BTW, another place that has good music and an interesting "night scene" is Chakra(route 4). Its a beautiful space. Doesnt have dancing, but its definately a "sexy"ight out.

owner - Flirt Sushi Lounge

www.flirtsushi.com

1-866-weflirt

Allendale, NJ