• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sloppy, throw-together snacks

PurpleDingo99

How about that traditional "sloppy" treat -- Sloppy Joes.

I often serve them at casual get togethers like TV-game days. I serve them in a crockpot with some fixin's (onions, pickles, cheese, etc.) and a bag o' buns alongside. Guests help themselves. I either make my "usual" sweet & sour version, or a Mexican version -- Sloppy Jose's.

SLOPPY JOES

1 T Worsty

1 T dried onion flakes

1/2 t garlic powder

celery salt to taste

1/2 C catsup

1/4 t chili powder

1 T brown sugar

1 T vinegar

1 T yellow prepared mustard

6 oz cooked meat

Mix all ingredients and simmer in saucepan til thickened. Serve hot or cold on buns (good picnic sandwiches), or in chafing dish with small rolls alongside.

Now - for the "cooked meat" you can use anything. And I mean anything. Sometimes I cut up weiners. I've used leftover turkey after Thanksgiving. I very frequently use a couple cans of drained tuna.

For the traditional ground beef, I brown the beef in the skillet, and saute the onions and fresh garlic, sometimes chopped bell peppers, just as you'd imagine, then simmer it all till thick. But it's just as good with dried onions and garlic powder.

SLOPPY JOSE'S

1 lb ground beef

1 package Taco seasoning

Prepare beef according to Taco seasoning instructions (you may need to add a can of tomato sauce or something, but just do whatever it says.)

shredded lettuce

chopped onions

chopped tomatoes

sliced jalapenos

shredded cheese

salsa (either home made, or Herdez brand, or, if you buy the whole "Taco shebang" kit thing with the shells, there will be some salsa in it)

Large-size hamburger buns

Prepare taco meat; spoon while still hot onto bottom of bun. Sprinkle meat with cheese so it melts a little. Top with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, salsa, jalapenos.

Put bun top on and eat.

It's kinda like a taco on a bun. If you've bought the 'taco kit' thing with the shells, break the shells apart and use them to stick into your queso dip.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

hormel chili w/ melted velveeta

crab & cream cheese based dip with lots of melted cheese on top

little meatballs in Heinz chili /grape jelly sauce - sounds stange, but tastes good

I make meatballs with chili sauce and grape jelly as well.. My friends love them and always request that I make them. So easy and they taste great.

Also yummy.. Little smokies wrapped in bacon and sprinkled with brown sugar.