• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hollow edge chef's knife?

mrsadm

and sam, if you can find really well-made custom chef knives for in the $100-$150 range, that's really great. who do you get them from?

Right here, to make one example. You can get a super-badass 9.5 inch K6 for $161 US, which is substantially less expensive than the $210 9.4 inch Misono UX10 gyutou. In fact, I am in communication with the maker right now, so stay tuned for a "limited edition eGullet Society knife" in the next month or two.

Sam, from what I understand of this knife, it is more like a cleaver than a gyuto. It weighs over a pound and while it can be used for prep work it is not as well suited as a gyuto would be. That's over 1/2 a pound heavier than the average gyuto! Fatigue may be an issue with this knife. The page below is a detailed review of this exact knife including a great picture. It is a great knife for sure but cannot be compared to a gyuto.

Tichbourne K6 review

Cheers,

Bob

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band