• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mai Tai's

waves2ya

Greetings...

Jason Perlow posted an alluring article on Mai Tai's, principally a rum drink. Like many things culinary, I believe the first try of what seem like complicated recipes are best left to professionals. In that forum I queried JP...

So Jason - convenient knower of all thing culinary & NJ - where can ya get one of the 'originals' locally ( NYC counts)...?

Undoubtedly a busy person, our site admin - so do Rum masters know where I can try an Original Mai Tai in N. NJ, NYC area?

Thks!

~waves

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

• 5 months later...
... do Rum masters know where I can try an Original Mai Tai in N. NJ, NYC area?

Btw - had the most magical Mai Tai in Philadelphia at Roy's (15th & Sansom); at bottom of their version resides a small dollop of nut liqueur...

Good stuff.

(the prix fix wasn't bad either; short ribs of beef - very good...)

Edited by waves2ya (log)

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

• 2 months later...

Victor Vergeron created Mai Tai and He developed the Company we know now as Trader Vic's. I'm still thinking after many Mai tai's in T. Vic's and in many other places, still thinking is the best ,the original recipe. Check the webside, and try to taste the original if you didn't do yet!

Kampai!!!!!!!!