• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sorrel Drink

bethesdabakers

I suppose this is the right section as sorrel is mixed with rum.

A friend brought me a pack of dried flor de jamaica (sorrel or rosella) back from Mexico. So I ran up a batch of Trinidadian Sorrel Drink which basically is just dried sorrel, sugar, orange peel and cloves with boiling water poured over, strained after a few days, a small amount of rum added, and bottled.

I've discovered that the first bottle to be broached has started to ferment after being open a couple of weeks. I'm not worried about it exploding - the cork is not too tight - but am I on the verge of creating a super-alcohol liqueur or does it have to go down the sink?

Best wishes,

Mick

Mick Hartley

The PArtisan Baker

bethesdabakers

"I can give you more pep than that store bought yeast" - Evolution Mama (don't you make a monkey out of me)

Fermenting sorrel sounds like you didn't add enough rum, or you've got too much sugar in the sorrel. Sugar in itself is a preservative. If the sugar content is high enough the mixture won't ferment. Or if the alcohol content is high enough, it won't ferment.

Fermentation is basically yeast turning free sugar into alcoho and carbon dioxide, the bubbles you see in a fermenting mixture. Bubbles in a rum and sweet sorrel mixture sounds like it will be sour, the sorrel wine will turn to vinegar if it is left too long.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.