• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking to Linger Around Metro Center

Fynnicki

I have had an incredibly stressful week at work, and as such, my boss has granted me a few hours off this afternoon. I work around Metro Center and want to find a place I can linger for at least a couple hours, nibbling on some good food and destressing. I'm willing to walk up to the Dupont Circle area or some other such distance from Metro Center, but can't go too far.

I'm planning on leaving around 2:00...and have to be back at work by 5:00 for a standing Friday responsibility. Any suggestions? I was thinking I might walk over to Ella's due to a pizza craving.

Firefly was my first thought too, but with the red line being how it is, he'll lose too much time in travel. Probably best to keep it in walking distance. Not that I know anything about the Metro Center area, so...I've got nothing. Isn't Les Halles over there? That might be good for beer and snacks. How close is Corduroy (1201 K Street) for their bar menu? That would probably be more relaxing. Isn't there a Teaism on H street out that way, too?

Edited by Chef Shogun (log)

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Red Sage? While the afternoon away sipping margaritas and watching the world go by? If this grows old, cross the street to Filene's and buy some shoes

Edited by Nadya (log)

Resident Twizzlebum

Good bet = someplace open

Being open between 2 and 5, is that very common along that corridor? Maybe Poste for mini burgers or something. That's not too far away, right?

Or maybe Old Ebbitt for half price raw bar and a nice beer!

Or free bread slices from Cosi and you can roll around the bed and bath department of Hecht's...

It's a nice day -- walk up to Zaytinya (Old Ebbitt would be excellent, but the half price deal is not in effect on Fridays).

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Well, I'm back - as you can see from the time, I didn't end up lingering too long, but I did have a great meal that should leave me refreshed and energized for the rest of my day.

When I left the office I intended (based on the responses I'd received at the time) to check out Shelley's Back Room, which is only half a block from my office, but as soon as I stepped outside I realized I'd been cooped up all week and could stand a bit more of a walk. So I headed over to a place I've wanted to try for quite some time - Matchbox.

Since the lunch rush had passed, I was seated immediately at a cozy high table on the third floor. At first the space seemed a bit crammed, but my table was perfectly comfortable. I decided to order the 3 mini burgers, with cheese (despite some mixed reviews on eGullet, I had to try them) and a small veggie pizza.

The burgers came out on a large platter containing, much to my surprise, a HUGE pile of onion straws. I knew they came with onion straws, but I was expecting a sprinkling more than a mound! My burgers were excellent - slightly crisp on the outside, pink and juicy throughout the middle, with crisp, thick pickle slices and perfectly toasted buns. The buns held up well to the juicy burgers and pickles, soaking up the juices without getting soggy (a good thing, as I detest mushy bread). My only complaint would be that between the seasoned meat, tart pickles and slightly sweet rolls, the mozzarella was barely noticeable. Next time, I'll get my burgers without this unnecessary addition.

The onion straws exhibited a delightful parmesan aroma, but it failed to materialize in the mouth. The straws, although crisp and appealing, were a bit more bland than I expected. Another dash or two of seasoning would have rendered them the perfect complement to the burgers.

By the time my pizza arrived, I was already starting to get full - the burgers were much more filling than I expected, and if I'd known that a platter of three was almost a meal in itself, I probably would have stuck with a salad or second appetizer instead of ordering a pizza. Thankfully, the veggie pizza was very light, with a thin, crisp (but not dry) crust and a generous, but not overwhelming, amount of mushrooms, roasted red peppers and onions, topped by a thin layer of mozzarella. The sauce was a bit watery - it probably could have used a bit more simmering - but otherwise, this was an excellent rendition of a veggie pizza, reminding me of those my parents made when I was a child, with crust and sauce made from scratch and veggies fresh from the garden.

The service was just the right tone for this type of casual restaurant - prompt without rushing, attentive without hovering, polite but not formal.

As a bonus, I have pizza to nibble on during the evening when I'm working late. I'll definitely be back and look forward to trying more of the menu.