• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thai Chili

rozrapp

Thai Chili, which opened a little over a month ago, is in a small shopping strip in Spotswood. Even though we live about 10 minutes away, I had no idea that it existed. Spotswood is not exactly a dining mecca, and I'd seen no advertising. I found out about it when someone posted about it on the nj.com restaurant forum.

When you pull up, you might think that it’s only a take-out joint since it’s sandwiched between a pizzeria and a nail salon. But step inside and you will find a small space that has pleasant décor with bamboo and other light wood accents, and oil portraits of Thai royalty decorating the walls. (In the spirit of the season, there were Halloween decorations throughout.) Tables have beige cloths with either sparking blue or pink overlays and topped with glass. A vase with a single fresh rose graces each table.

We’ve had lunch twice. Our first visit was at 3 p.m., so we were not surprised to be the only diners. The next time, when we got there at about 2:45, there was one couple having lunch. There was only one server each time – a woman the first time and a young man the next. Both wore colorful Thai clothing and provided pleasant, prompt service.

Items on the menu that are spicy are indicated with a little red chili pepper on the left, and there is a notation that they will increase or decrease the level of spiciness at the diner’s request.

We have sampled three different appetizers. Four medium-sized Thai Egg Rolls, aka spring rolls, with thin skins wrapped around sauteed cabbage and glass noodles arrived at the table piping hot, almost too hot to handle, having been expertly deep-fried a golden brown. They were nice and crunchy with not a hint of grease, and we happily dipped them into the accompanying plum sauce.

Steamed Thai Dumplings are filled with ground chicken and peanuts, and accompanied by a little dish of marinated, diced cucumbers. Delectable!

The menu states that Summer Rolls are rice skins containing chicken and shrimp, vegetables and noodles. I could not discern any shrimp or noodles but did find chicken, lettuce, carrots, and a fresh basil leaf. I have never had summer rolls before, so I didn’t realize they are served cold. The lettuce and carrots provided crunch, the basil's flavor was strong, and the chicken sort of got lost in the shuffle. A slightly spicy plum dipping sauce added a nice tang.

We have sampled four main courses. My husband likes spicy, so each time, he went for items with the little chili pepper symbol. Spicy Noodles with Beef (also available with Seafood or Chicken) are flat noodles stir-fried with chili pepper, basil leaves, onions, and thin pieces of beef. I tasted some and found it too spicy, but I have a fairly sensitive palate. My husband was happy with the dish overall, as well as with the level of heat.

Siam Beef contained two medium-sized relatively thin slices of beef, looking much like steaks, that had been marinated with herbs and sesame oil and were served with a large mound of spicy fried rice and spicy plum sauce in a little dish on the side. I tasted the meat and we both agreed that it was just o.k. I didn’t taste it with the sauce, but my husband said it perked things up. He liked the rice.

My choices did not have pepper symbols and were from the list of Chef’s Specials. Peanut Chicken was a plump chicken breast, grilled, then cut into thick slices, and surrounded by a thin peanut sauce. From my first bite, it was obvious that the chef was a master at the grill because the chicken was unbelievably juicy. Since I love anything with a peanut sauce, I was in seventh heaven. This is actually a very simple preparation raised to great heights by the chef’s skill. The delicious mixed vegetables accompaniment – carrots, zucchini, baby corn, and broccoli – actually were spicy, but not too overpowering. White rice was served on the side.

Jumbo Shrimp Massaman contained shrimp that were more medium-sized than jumbo along with sliced onions and red and green peppers, small chunks of potatoes, pieces of avocado, and peanuts in a coconut milk and massaman curry sauce. A sensational dish with a wonderful mix of textures and flavors. This also came with a side of white rice. (Note: Our server asked me if I might prefer the Shrimp Massaman to be made spicy. I declined.)

For dessert, the coconut ice cream with large chunks of chocolate mixed in that we had the first time was delicious, so we were disappointed that they were out of it on Tuesday and settled for a decent plain old vanilla.

The costs, including 2 soft drinks each time for my husband, tax and tip: first meal = $38; second meal = $50.

Admittedly, we have not dined at very many Thai restaurants, so I’m not exactly an expert on this cuisine. However, I feel confident in saying that Thai Chili is a “hidden gem” and hope that it won't be hidden for long.

Thai Chili

Romeo’s Plaza

210 Summerhill Road

Spotswood (For the geographically challenged, it is bordered by East Brunswick and Old Bridge.)

Tel: 732-723-0600

BYO

No Smoking

Hey thanks.. Going over to the East Brunswick tonight.. Might hit up Las Molinos in New Brunswick, some really good portugese place, or might try to talk the parentals into trying that place.. I sent the link to my mother and she is very happy... Thanks alot.

• 2 weeks later...

Went home to vote on the 2nd and ended up going to thai chili.. Its in the old strip mall where i use to eat lunch in High School rather often.. The SummerHill Deli. The place was really good. I had several dishes which were all good. They didnt have Laab on the menu, but the people were more then willing to make it for me. I had one of the better dishes i have had at a thai place . I dont remember the name of it. Its the item either right above or below the chili pasta. It was crispy noodles served in a massaman curry sauce with chicken.. It was fantastic. The prices were not too expensive and the place was clean with a friendly staff.. Thanks for the suggestion. Rozrapp

I had one of the better dishes i have had at a thai place .  I dont remember the name of it.  Its the item either right above or below the chili pasta.  It was crispy noodles served in a massaman curry sauce with chicken.. It was fantastic.

Daniel, Is it the simply-named "Noodle Curry," which can be ordered with either chicken or shrimp? In addition to crispy egg noodles, the ingredients listed on the take-out menu I have are coconut milk, bean curd, shallots & peanuts, but no mention of massaman curry.

I'm glad you found the food to your liking. :smile: So, even though they were willing to make the laab for you, you didn't have it?

We were back for another lunch earlier this week. Started with chicken satay -- juicy, juicy, juicy -- with the ubiquitous peanut sauce, and "Shrimp in a Blanket," which are spring rolls stuffed with fried shrimp, ground pork, and coriander, served with spicy plum sauce. Yum!

We then had an excellent Pad Thai with shrimp, and Thai Chili Curry which was composed of grilled rack of lamb with chili peppers, coconut milk, and panang curry sauce. I presume that this would not be an authentic Thai dish? :unsure: There were 6 mini chops which would have been better if they had been cooked medium rare instead of well done. However, the sauce was delicious, and there were green beans as well as lots and lots of sliced red and green peppers. Considering current pepper prices, :shock: that alone would warrant the $14.95 cost. :laugh:

We asked for the coconut/chocolate ice cream and were told that they only had it in the fried ice cream, so we tried it. Our first major disappointment. While the ice cream was fine, the coating was awful. :sad:

Sorry for the confusion.. I did order to the chicken laab and it was certainly good.. Especially for something that didnt have the time to marinate all that long.. It wasnt excellent, but certainly worth getting.. It had a nice heat to it..

In terms of the crispy noodles, its not exactly a masamaan curry.. Its a spicy brown coconut sauce.. Really good and they noodles were great.

Also, I find it really cute that alot of thai places in the area like to do things with the paper wrapping of the straws. A couple of places make hearts.. This place seems to wrap that paper super tight.. I wonder how they do that.

Wife and I had a very enjoyable dinner at this restaurant which is literally tucked away in a small shopping cenetr in Spotswood.

We split a couple of appetizers, Gyow Tod was ground chicken and shrimp wrapped in a crispy skin served with a spicy plum sauce. Really good. The steamed Thai dumplings were just ok, a bit too doughy and the ground filling was rather bland.

For entrees Denise had the Sea Scallops Penang which were fried scallops in a coconut milk curry sauce. Spice built during the course of eating but never became too hot. This dish was delicious!. I had the Peanut Chicken which was a perfectly done chicken breast with a mildly spicy peanut sauce. Also came with crisp veggies. Another nice entree.

Both entrees also came with white rice which became sponges for the sauces :biggrin:

A bottle of Turley White Coat was pure pleasure with the spicy food.

Too stuffed for dessert. With tax and tip the bill was $46.00.

Very warm friendly people, the restaurant was doing a brisk take out business but the restaurant was only about half full. Hopefully this new venture will take off.

I recommend it to anyone looking for a "good fix" of Thai food.

Tom

Tom D