• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

MariaG

MariaG

Hi,

I came over here from CH since I am kind of a fan of copper, having one Hammersmith pan. I look forward to picking up something of their new stuff and appreciate the good feedback here.

IMG_20121215_121826.thumb.jpg.e2f9523824

I don't normally post, but I want to comment on heavy copper cookware being available at discounters and clothing stores. I bought two Baumalu tagged skillets at TJ Maxx a couple of years or three ago for practically no money and stacked them in the backseat of my car on the way home. By the time I got them in the kitchen the tin on the bottom pan was coming off in big flakes. I was disappointed, but they were final sale so I decided to send the bad one to Hammersmith/BCC for retinning. I'd gotten another pot repaired by them and thought even retinned the flakey pan would work out cheaper than normal new price.

Well, I'm very glad I did. I got a call from Hammersmith telling me that the pan I'd given them tested positive for lead(!) in the tin. They had seen this before, apparently the acid they use turns a different color when lead is present. Aluminum rivets are apparently also a giveaway and the acid damages those so my pan needed new rivets (it was only about $10 more). They fixed it and all together it still was an inexpensive pan (about $100 with the new tin), but scary.

I sent them my second pan, same thing. They told me that there are a lot French fakes out there, maybe thousands. And even if they have Made in France stamped in them, they're not and the tags are copies, and I learned that fakes are usually sold through discounters and remainder stores, the kinds of places you don't normally see premium cookware (the store buyers don't know any better they're just trying to get the best deal, just like I was!).

So, buyer beware! But if you are going to discount shop at least pick up a $10 lead test kit to make sure you don't "Flint" yourself on a cheap deal, and be ready to get it retinned. Personally, I've learned my lesson. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

MariaG

MariaG

Hi,

I came over here from CH since I am kind of a fan of copper, having one Hammersmith pan. I look forward to picking up something of their new stuff and appreciate the good feedback here.

IMG_20121215_121826.thumb.jpg.e2f9523824

I want to comment on heavy copper cookware being available at discounters and clothing stores. I bought two Baumalu tagged skillets at TJ Maxx a couple of years or three ago for practically no money and stacked them in the backseat of my car on the way home. By the time I got them in the kitchen the tin on the bottom pan was coming off in big flakes. I was disappointed, but they were final sale so I decided to send the bad one to Hammersmith/BCC for retinning. I'd gotten another pot repaired by them and thought even retinned the flakey pan would work out cheaper than normal new price.

Well, I'm very glad I did. I got a call from Hammersmith telling me that the pan I'd given them tested positive for lead(!) in the tin. They had seen this before, apparently the acid they use turns a different color when lead is present. Aluminum rivets are apparently also a giveaway and the acid damages those so my pan needed new rivets (it was only about $10 more). They fixed it and all together it still was an inexpensive pan (about $100 with the new tin), but scary.

I sent them my second pan, same thing. They told me that there are a lot French fakes out there, maybe thousands. And even if they have Made in France stamped in them, they're not and the tags are copies, and I learned that fakes are usually sold through discounters and remainder stores, the kinds of places you don't normally see premium cookware (the store buyers don't know any better they're just trying to get the best deal, just like I was!).

So, buyer beware! But if you are going to discount shop at least pick up a $10 lead test kit to make sure you don't "Flint" yourself on a cheap deal, and be ready to get it retinned. Personally, I've learned my lesson. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.