• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freehold Restaurants

jsfein

Eric's has been around for quite a while, and we had one dinner there several years ago. I recall that the interior was quite nice, but I have absolutely no recollection of what we ate. Since I generally remember really good meals, plus the fact that we have never gone back (we're only 10 minutes from Freehold) indicates that neither my husband nor I was impressed.

I, too, have Citrus on my "go to" list, so if you get there before I do, I'll be interested to hear your opinion.

The Japanese place is Oyako Japanese, 6 W. Main St., Freehold. This is where we ate. Standard fare Hibachi, limited non-Hibachi and sushi menu. Food/atmosphere not much different than most other Hibachi oriented Japanese restaurants in the state. BYOB.

I had preferred trying Citrus, which for those not from the area, is also a relatively new restaurant in Downtown Freehold. At 8 p.m. on Friday night, only one table of 2 was occupied. Wife took that as a bad sign so we took a pass. Maybe next time (if its still around). Menu looks interesting.

=Mark ... I ate at 75 South in the past month with a group and the general consensus was it was not worth a return visit. However, I will say that my entree of lobster ravioli was the best lobster ravioli I've ever eaten. However, aside from my entree, every other entree and appetizer was fair to pretty bad.

I've been to Citrus, it is strikingly decorated inside & the food was prepared & presented wonderfully.

Service is also very gracious & helpful. I’ve been to many restaurants in the Monmouth County area and this is the best I have ever experienced.

Citrus was very disappointing. The menu is interesting but the finished product was very ordinary. My wife and I found the service uneven despite only 3 tables being occupied on a Friday night.

75 South has gone steadily downhill over the past 3 years and is nothing like the quality place it once was.

The best of downtown Freehold is El Meson for Mexican and Trattoria Portobello and La Cippolina for Italian. Federici's for pizza of course.