• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

La Table du Lancaster, Paris, Troisgros

cabrales

In mid-October, the NYT Dining section reported the following:

"Paris has finally attracted the Troisgros family, which owns the Michelin

three-star restaurant Maison Troisgros in Roanne, France. Michel Troisgros

has become the consultant for the new restaurant in the Hotel Lancaster, on the

Rue de Berri near the Champs-Elysees. The restaurant will open early next year."

• 1 year later...

We're trying to plan meals for a 2 week stay in Paris -Oct 20 thruogh Nov. 2.

I've noticed La Table du Lancaster and the menu descriptions sound interesting even though I'm not a big fan of Troisgros.

Has anyone eaten at Table du Lancaster recently? Any comments about the food? The service? About the cost (we would book for lunch)? Would you go back? How does it compare to restaurants like Rollinger, Les Magnolia, or French Laundry?

Thanks,

Al Sharff

sharff - if you're not a big fan of Troisgros, don't go! :wink: Because what you'll get is Roanne in Paris, 30% off, though... I'm a big fan of Michel Troisgros', been to the LAncaster twice and really liked it. But if you're looking for something close to Roellinger, for instance, try another place. At the Lancaster, the service is really OK, food's sharp, clever and quite unique, but it's not a 3 star (yet?) -- I don't think that's the chef's goal, anyway. Hope this helps.

"Mais moi non plus, j'ai pas faim! En v'là, une excuse!..."

(Jean-Pierre Marielle)

• 1 year later...

We visited this elegant little restaurant last Tues. for lunch. The decor has an oriental touch and looks out on a pleasant garden, which will be more so in a couple of weeks as Spring does its thing. The tables are well spaced so that your conversation is yours only. The staff were quietly friendly, not a whiff of pretention and only made one near stumble, allowing my wine glass to sit empty for a few seconds. Wine service is a sore spot with me...either leave it at my disposal or keep a close eye on the level in the glasses. The wine list is comme il faut for a starred restaurant, with a good selection of half bottles, which I like when we are two. We had a ½ of an excellent Condrieu for the white part of our meal and a young but good St. Estephe, Chateau Les Ormes de Pez, for the red part. Michel Troisgros is credited with an assist on the carte. The cuisine definitely has a flair, modern touches(didn't he make a recent visit to Japan?) without the shock factor found around the corner at the Hotel Balzac. Our amuse bouche was a long thin slice of oriental radish with a size coordinated parmesan tuile touched with roe. We had salmon with sorrel cream sauce, grilled langouste dusted with spiced bread crumbs and lemon grass and rognons de veau artfully presented with sliced rounds of potatoe. Desserts were a passion fruit soufflé and "Petites crêpes à la fraise des bois et parfum yuzu". After dinner we had glasses of an Armagnac which was older than most of us and exhibited more finesse than I did at the same age. Pre-dinner champagne, Chateldon mineral water, wines, old Armagnac, coffee and an extra order brought the tab up to levels that shouldn't be discussed in polite company. If someone invites you then "hie thee forthwith".

Edited by Laidback (log)

I loved this restaurant. It's one of my favorite one-stars in Paris, and to be honest, I'm surprised it didn't get a second star this year.

I do, on the other hand, admit that I was invited so I have no idea how much it cost. I would imagine that it's a little like the Atélier de Joël Robuchon, so if you're hungry and thirsty you can crank up a serious bill. The last time I went to l'Atélier I spent €235 alone! Serving Haut Marbuzet 96 by the glass is a very dangerous thing....

Food glorious food, nothing quite like it...