• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner with friends

Florida Jim

Aperitif:

2000 Huet, Vouvray Sec Clos de Bourg(375):

Fairly closed but strongly scented and flavored with lemon, hay, tea and mineral tones; nicely viscous and bone dry with good persistence. Too early to get all that this will offer, but it already shows some complexity and excellent intensity.

1994 J. Drouhin, Chassagne-Montrachet Marquis de Laguiche:

Upon first opening, this showed gentle oak and little nose but within half an hour, came to full song. Lovely, nutty, deep chardonnay nose, round in the mouth but plenty of backing acidity, excellent depth and complexity, medium length. At peak and a true delight.

1996 Hirtzberger, Riesling Singerriedel:

Secondary development well under way, this was almost painfully intense. Very powerful on the nose and palate with smoky lemon and mineral notes, earthy, peppery and spicy; very, very long. This needed strongly flavored food and, although it is a good and interesting wine, it was way too much by itself. Will last a long time.

With seared scallops with a lime, ginger sauce:

1999 Raveneau, Chablis Butteaux:

The most perfectly ready premier cru Chablis I’ve tasted and truly memorable. Very expansive aromas of lemon water, flowers, minerals and light spice, a beautifully perfumed nose; fresh and lively on the palate with depth, complexity and elegance, nearly weightless but still concentrated and, above all, perfectly balanced. Fabulous with the food, fabulous by itself; what a treat!

With baked chicken breasts stuffed with porcinis and herbs, and, a potato gateau with pancetta and smoked provola:

2000 Hudelot-Noellat, Bourgogne:

Crisp and elegant with crystal clean pinot flavors, light spice and good balance. Can cellar short term. My favorite of the pinots.

1999 Sanford, Pinot Noir La Rinconda Vnyd.:

Very rich, gently oaked, excellent concentration but a touch to plush and simple for me. A cocktail wine, IMO, but a tasty one

1992 Claera Mills, Pinot Noir Mt. Harlan:

The Count Basie of pinots; more was said by the timing than the melody; wonderfully complex with green olive and earth evident on the nose and palate, fine secondary development and good balance. A wine that is “at peak” in every respect and a evidence that Calera can age very well indeed.

Intermezzo:

1995 Turriga, IGT:

Powerful, oaky wine with better complexity than I expected good concentration and length. Needs a decade.

With pumpkin tart:

1990 Chat. Suduiraut, Sauternes (375):

As bad as was last bottle was, this was every bit the opposite. Lots of complexity, lots of cut, a distinct smoky-stone element and as good a Sauternes as I have tasted. Wonderful right now.

With assorted cheeses:

1994 Graham’s, Porto (3750:

In no danger of fading but delicious now. Very seamless, no rough tannins, integrated and round in the mouth; a wine that is greater than the sum of its parts. No port lover I but I could drink this regularly.

After hours:

1998 Ogier, Cote-Rotie:

This bottle was a bit more closed than several I have had previous; still clearly of its place, excellent concentration and balance and texturally impressive. Terrific wine.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Good show Jim !

Any further info on the :1995 Turriga, IGT

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

Good show Jim !

Any further info on the :1995 Turriga, IGT

Andre,

I am no fan of oak and this wine had plenty (and most of it unintegrated). However, it also had a very solid fruit base with good structure and even some complexity.

Nonetheless, even if one likes this kind of oak treatment, this was nowhere near ready to drink; very primary.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com