• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Center City steakhouses

cinghiale

Lookin’ for a Center City steakhouse for a celebratory, artery-clogging dinner tomorrow night. Does Philly have anything in the Luger/Old Homestead/Spark's/V category: Ideally, non-chain? Undeniably terrific meat, consistently expertly prepared? Polished if somewhat aloof service? For lack of a better word, “understated” ambience?

If memory serves, we have the usual suspects along Broad Street and its environs:

• Ruth’s Chris

• Morton’s

• Palm

• Capital Grille

• Smith & Wollensky

Prime Rib at the Warwick might be a contender, but I’ve seen only two brief mentions here, and one was during Restaurant Week.

Davio’s might work, but it’s sort of ristorante-meets-steakhouse, if their online menu is accurate.

Then there’s the Saloon, I guess. While it’s in my neighborhood, the clientele drawn to it seem, well, different.

So, anyone have any favorites? Maybe someone’s aware of a special running somewhere (Holly once reported on a Palm special). NB: Not looking for steak frites or the like.

Lookin’ for a Center City steakhouse for a celebratory, artery-clogging dinner tomorrow night.  Does Philly have anything in the Luger/Old Homestead/Spark's/V category: Ideally, non-chain?  Undeniably terrific meat, consistently expertly prepared?  Polished if somewhat aloof service?  For lack of a better word, “understated” ambience?

If memory serves, we have the usual suspects along Broad Street and its environs:

•  Ruth’s Chris

•  Morton’s

•  Palm

•  Capital Grille

•  Smith & Wollensky

Prime Rib at the Warwick might be a contender, but I’ve seen only two brief mentions here, and one was during Restaurant Week.

Davio’s might work, but it’s sort of ristorante-meets-steakhouse, if their online menu is accurate.

Then there’s the Saloon, I guess.  While it’s in my neighborhood, the clientele drawn to it seem, well, different.

So, anyone have any favorites?  Maybe someone’s aware of a special running somewhere (Holly once reported on a Palm special).  NB: Not looking for steak frites or the like.

Capital Grille is the best steakhouse, and probably one of the best restaurants in the city, hands down. Prime Rib would be second, possibly tied with the Palm and Smith & Wollensky. But CG is the bomb. No need to look any further. Service is excellent and so's the wine list. If you know what you're looking for, there are some gems on there like second labels and wines from lesser known regions that are well matched to the big honking slabs of deadthing. It's got that dark wood and snifters-after-dinner-in-the-bar masculine vibe that is essential for a steakhouse. Oh, and did I mention the steaks are delicious??

Have a nice dinner!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The tragedy is that all the Center City steak houses are chains - none home grown.

I'm a fan of the Palm, but would be happy with any of the above. The Prime Rib is a close second. They'd be first, but they won't put my characature on the wall. That has to count for something. :smile:

And if all the Philadelphia steak houses have to be outsiders, then I'm ready to welcome Peter Luger's to Broad Street.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Capital Grille, from apps to meat to dessert, is far better than the Palm will ever be. Or The Prime Rib. And their wine list embrasses the previous two, and Smith and Wollensky, too.

Do not omit the spicy calamari appetizer from your meal.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

wait has barclay prime opened yet?  any preliminary reports?

James:

Lookee HERE

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Thanks to all for the recommendation to Capital Grille. Went last night and had an enjoyable dinner.

We got seated in the "Board Room" -- ground floor, all the way in the back. Just four tables. Our server excitedly told me that several months ago, IN MY VERY CHAIR, sat noneother than Jon Bonjovi!!! He was closing the Philly Soul deal!!!!! Could it get any better? The french doors were later closed, because, as a runner explained to our neighbors, "there's a 65-top in there". Made for a cozy, clubby dinner. Service was impeccable.

I'm ashamed to say we didn't have the calamari. I was outvoted in favor of the cold shellfish platter (oysters, shrimp, baby lobster), for $40 just OK, and steak tartare, good but unspectacular. The three of us shared a very tasty tomato and sweet onion salad.

I had the porterhouse, ordered black and blue. Friend 1 had the delmonico, ordered pittsburgh. Friend 2 had the mini filet. My porterhouse was disappointingly on the medium side of medium-rare. But the meat itself was so good, so flavorful, so perfectly seasoned that I didn't have the heart to send it back. Curiously, the delmonico was grilled correctly, so maybe I should switch terminology. The filet was fine, if you like filet. The lyonnaise potatoes were a bit overdone; the creamed spinach was just right.

Dessert was Capogiro.

Thanks again for the recommendation. I'm sure to go back, if not least to try the calamari over drinks at the bar.

I had the porterhouse, ordered black and blue.  Friend 1 had the delmonico, ordered pittsburgh.

what's the difference between these two? i've always heard them described the same way.

edited to say: i mean the difference in the cooking, not the difference between a porterhouse and a delmonico.

Edited by mrbigjas (log)