• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

TheAvidHomeChef

TheAvidHomeChef

On 5/22/2023 at 8:10 PM, afs said:

I believe that the GE Profile cooktop has a regular induction burner (no temperature sensor), but that it has Bluetooth and Hestan Cue pan compatibility.  In other words, it would use the built-in temperature sensors in the Hestan Cue pans to report the pan temperature.  If you love the Hestan Cue pans, that might be a good match.

The main built-in cooktop I've seen with a pan temperature sensor is this one from Miele.  It has an IR (non-contact) sensor on one hob.  I'm not sure how one calibrates it, how well it works with pans that don't have clean bottoms, or how easy it is to clean.  But it has me intrigued :)

https://www.miele.com/brand/en/tempcontrol-28475.htm

No, this is a new one I believe. Yes, you still need the Hestan Cue app. You need an iPad or other mobile device for the recipe guidance.

image.thumb.png.6d1806c291bd8d225afcbf4d2d4fda24.png

The miele one  definitely looks interesting. I can see more and more established manufacturers are going this way with the sensor on glass tops. 

The Hestan Cue pans are not great, to be honest. It makes a lot of noise when cooking. And its Bluetooth is quite a hassle to use. Also, have to twist the cap to turn it on and off every time you cook.

TheAvidHomeChef

TheAvidHomeChef

On 5/22/2023 at 8:10 PM, afs said:

I believe that the GE Profile cooktop has a regular induction burner (no temperature sensor), but that it has Bluetooth and Hestan Cue pan compatibility.  In other words, it would use the built-in temperature sensors in the Hestan Cue pans to report the pan temperature.  If you love the Hestan Cue pans, that might be a good match.

The main built-in cooktop I've seen with a pan temperature sensor is this one from Miele.  It has an IR (non-contact) sensor on one hob.  I'm not sure how one calibrates it, how well it works with pans that don't have clean bottoms, or how easy it is to clean.  But it has me intrigued :)

https://www.miele.com/brand/en/tempcontrol-28475.htm

No, this is a new one I believe. Yes, you still need the Hestan Cue app. You need an iPad or other mobile device for the recipe guidance.

image.thumb.png.6d1806c291bd8d225afcbf4d2d4fda24.png

The miele one  definitely looks interesting. I can see more and more established manufacturers are going this way with the sensor on glass tops. 

The Hestan Cue pans are not great, to be honest. It makes a lot of noise when cooking. And its Bluetooth is quite a hassle to use. Also, have to twist the cap to turn it on and off every time you cook.

image.png