• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Location of Ron Del Barrilito Rum factory tours?

bobz

• 2 weeks later...

I've been there, but can't remember the exact location, it is in the neighborhood behind the harbor, if I recall correctly, not too far from Bacardi.  For some reason, Bayamon also comes to mind as the location.  Hmmmm   When I was there several years ago, there was no official tour...I just showed up about midmorning on a weekday and walked around until I found someone.  They were supremely welcoming and nice.  Sorry I can't be of more help, try cross posting to the Caribbean board, maybe Miguel Gierbolini has some better insights.

As for cheap places to buy rum, any supermarket or the duty free shop at the airport worked well for me.  Have fun, San Juan is a lot of fun to visit.

I just returned from Puerto Rico and it included a visit to the Ron del Barrilito rum plant.  It is very difficult to find.  The directions that we had were not accurate, there were no signs on the main roads (no "Barrilito next exit") and few people we asked knew where it was or they thought we were referring to Bacardi.  But I can tell you exactly where it is.

It is best to approach from the north of Bayamon on southbound Highway 5 (a freeway).  Get off at highway 28.  The exit puts you onto an access road for a factory that adjoins the freeway and you head south to the intersection with 28.  All traffic will want to then take a left and go under the freeway onto highway 28.  The Goya food processing plant is on the other side of the freeway and a lot of traffic is trying to get there too.  Don't turn left onto 28, however.  Go straight at the intersection as if you are simply going to get back on southbound highway 5.  Go straight about 40 yards past the intersection.  This looks strange because there is nothing there but a sidewalk food stand on your right and some overgrown weeds.  If you look to your right, however, you will see a small sign that either reads "Ron del Barrilito" or "Edmund Fernandez Co." and there is a driveway that will take you back toward the old wind mill they now use as an office, the hacienda and the rum plant.

As you pull off the road, be careful, there is a dip and your car could bottom out.  It is certainly an experience, and the people there are great to talk to.  I bought a case of 2 star Barrilito for $70, which would costs close to $200 retail in the 48 states, so carrying it on the plane was a hassle but worth it.  Good luck.

Hope this helps, take Highway #5 from Bayamón toward Cataño and get off at Kilo 1.6. On the west side of the highway look for the signs and the trees that are part of the hacienda. The public is welcome Monday through Friday from 8:00 to 11:45 and from 13:00 to 16:45.  You can call 787-785-3490

Definitely worth the trouble.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

As for best prices, I like to buy rum at the distilleries but it's a good idea to check supermarkets, KMart in the Virgin Islands, or other consumer outlets. They do the biggest business and are generally very competitive. I avoid duty free, at almost any cost. There are a few deals around but you always do better in town. Duty free shops usually pay ridiculous rents in airports and other expensive tourist centers.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 3 years later...